20pt Segoe UI Light in a Textbox is sometimes bold (Surface Pro)

Question

• In a brand new windows store project, a Textbox control with FontFamily="Segoe UI" FontWeight="Light" (or FontFamily="Segoe UI Light") will sometimes bold the text after a few characters of input. For example:

try the text: 'this is a note'

It's usually after a space and not every character sequence recreates it, but this text seems to recreate the issue for me.

And it's only bolded on the Surface Pro. I have a version 1 Pro, don't know about the 2. Also, this does not happen on the simulator or the desktop monitor.

MSFT guidelines for font styles seem to contradict which font to choose. It looks like Segoe UI

Another post in the forums mentioned Segoe UI is only supposed to be used for small font sizes, but the font style guidelines list approved sizes all the way up to 42pt, and 20pt Segoe UI Light is used for sub headers.

If it were just a single character I would guess the issue could be the edge of a letter on a certain dpi monitor causes some pixel rounding, but how could that explain every character looks bold?

Friday, April 25, 2014 5:19 PM

All replies

• Have you tested this on multiple devices, or just one?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 28, 2014 7:10 PM
  • Have tested on 2 devices. Both Surface Pro 1
    Monday, April 28, 2014 7:46 PM