none
newbie. Which exchange cmdlets give me the MailboxGuid? RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Exchange 2010 system. We need to disable/connect mailboxes now and then.

I have discovered that the connect-mailbox cmdlet likes to use the MailBoxGuid as the Identifier.

The mailboxGuid seems to be visible in the AD attribute msExchMailboxGUID when an AD account is "mail enabled" even though that user has not logged on to his mailbox yet.

What I am interested in is which exchange cmdlets return the MailboxGuid.

So far, the only one I have found is Get-MailboxStatistics with the SMTPemailaddress as identifier.

Why doesn't Get-Mailbox give me the mailbox's GUID????

Monday, October 2, 2017 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hello HaroldHare,

Can you try below command in EMS and see if it works:

Get-Mailbox | ft Name, Guid > C:\GUID.txt

Note: Change the destination if you want.

• Proposed as answer by Guido Jeuken Monday, October 2, 2017 9:48 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Get-Mailbox returns a Guid but it doesn't seem to be the same as the MailboxGuid given by Get-Mailboxstatistics

e.g.

$user = get-aduser -filter {mail -eq 'my.tester1@deville.local'} -Properties msExchMailboxGuid

$a = Get-Mailbox -Identity my.tester1@deville.local

$b = Get-MailboxStatistics -Identity my.tester1@deville.local

$a.Guid is not the same as $b.MailboxGuid (and $user.msExchMailboxGuid ADSI editor view)

msExchMailboxGUID is ****ing hard to handle. It seems to be of a strange type and seems just to be a series of bytes... but the ADSI Edit properties viewer seems to understand it.

Monday, October 2, 2017 12:52 PM
  • Sorry.  Digging around. Amazingly the right Property of Get-Mailbox to use is ExchangeGuid.

$a = Get-Mailbox -Identity my.tester1@deville.local

$b = Get-MailboxStatistics -Identity my.tester1@deville.local

$a.ExchangeGuid == $b.MailboxGuid

Monday, October 2, 2017 1:07 PM