none
Different Usage of VS2010 Publish vs vs2010 Installer Project/Package? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question... if not sorry!

I am a bit confused with the different usage of the VS built in "Publish" and creating and using an "Installer Project".

Why Both... they seem to perform just about the same thing?

I have a Desktop application which should I use for distrubution?

Thanks, confused!

SquireDude
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi

The major difference between MS Visual Studio Installer project and the Publish option is.

- Installer Project : This create the MSI (Microsoft windows Installer) package as output, this can used for install on the other environment and other computer.

- Publish Optoin is : During the development time the web based project will be mapped with a environment (development environment) and end of the every build, this option enables to promote the files to environment directly. In this option you can promote to only one environment, which are mapped.

If you are Desktop application needs to be distributed, it is better to use Installer projcet and create the MSI package.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Regards

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Hi Nahruraj,

Thanks for the explanation.  I still don't get why I should use one method over the other???

I am testing the Setup as if it were on a CD (I am using a memory stick)...

Press Publish... it creates a set of files including a "click Once" manifest and all the files I need to install the app... If I copy all the files to the stick and plug the stick into another machine It runs the install process using Windows Installer.

SetUp... it creates a single .MSI file which has all the files needed to install the application... it uses forms like that of a 3rd party installer.

The only difference I see is that using the

• "Publish" method all the code resides within the original project
    • "Install Project" method all the code and files for the process are contained within the Install Project.

CONCLUSION:

• For a SIMPLE install...  use Publish.. clean easy
    • For COMPLEX install with many parameters... use Install Project... complex requires special knowledge.

Thanks

SquireDude
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:56 PM