none
Help getting the new PR_SORT_POSITION stuff to work in 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Per Stephen Griffin's blog post, in Outlook 2013 you can override Outlook's default alpha ordering for folders in the tree using the new PR_SORT_POSITION property.

The blog is a little sparse on implementation specifics, but I have implemented support for the property on our IMAPIFolder objects (via IMAPIProps::GetProps) and yet Outlook still appears to be ignoring our specified order. 

Is there anyone who has some more detailed guidance on how to make use of this new sorting override for 2013?

Thanks.

Friday, July 11, 2014 7:49 PM

All replies

• Have you compared the values set in your provider with what Outlook sets on, for example, PST folders when you manually drag them around?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Friday, July 11, 2014 7:56 PM
  • Just did. It is definitely different than what I have.

For inbox folders I re-ordered, it shows values like:

cb:1, lpb: 0F

In my implementation, I am using a ULONG variable, so it ends up like this for us:

cb:4, lpb: 03 00 00 00

I was under the impression that it would go byte by byte:

"Outlook will look at the first byte of this property to do the first pass of the sort. If two folders have the same first byte, Outlook looks at the second byte to break the tie, and so on."

I will see about changing it to just a single byte value instead and report back.

Friday, July 11, 2014 8:14 PM
  • OK, I made it so our values are in the same format, ie:

cb:1, lpb: 0F

cb:1, lpb: 1F

cb:1, lpb: 2F, etc...

And Outlook still sorts our tree alphabetically.

We are not supporting the PR_SORT_PARENTID property, also described in the blog. From the statements in the blog, it didn't seem necessary since we don't want it to sort on another parent that its own. Is it required and the blog just poorly worded?

Friday, July 11, 2014 9:12 PM
  • You might want to ask Steve in his blog...

Friday, July 11, 2014 9:16 PM
  • And what happens if oyu do expose the PR_SORT_PARENTID property? I don't think it properly works anyway; at least I did not have luck with it.

Friday, July 11, 2014 9:21 PM
  • I did post to the blog, but he hasn't moderated/approved the post.

I will try implementing the other property tomorrow when I get back to work.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi Kevin

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 14, 2014 6:39 AM
  • I exposed the PR_SORT_PARENTID property and I still get all alphabetical sorting.

I'll keep examining properties and see if anything stands out as markedly different between our store and the default Outlook stores.

Monday, July 14, 2014 3:13 PM
  • I will look into this and will keep you posted on updates :)

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT} Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Great, thanks!
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Kevin,

Stephen had responded to your comments. Please checkout the related blogpost.

Hope this helps.

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT} Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Friday, July 25, 2014 11:34 PM
  • I have responded to him there.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 8:12 PM