Problems editing an existing authorization rule or adding a new rule RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to update an existing auth-rule using the HealthVault Application Configuration Center.
    No matter what i do, it keeps telling me that an 'Authorization rule name is required'. Even when i do provide a rule name, the problem persists.
    Adding a new rule failes with the same validation message.

I have one rule for online access and one rule for offline access. None of them are optional rules and both have a why string.

Any idea someone?

Thanx in advance!

Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• I have changed the rule names in Application Configuration Center for your Application ID and now you can go ahead, edit the existing rules and create new rules.
    -Mahesh
    • Marked as answer by remkonienhuis Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:12 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:03 PM

All replies

• Does this post help you?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/healthvault/thread/aedc7a0c-a4e9-486d-8f3f-751a9bce419f
    Raj HealthVault Developer Tool http://xray.getrealconsulting.com
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Hi remkonienhuis,

These are the steps to be followed.

1. If more than one rule exists without a name, you must delete all but one rule.
    2. Note down which rules were deleted so that they can be recreated later.

3. First delete the rule in OfflineAccess tab. (As you delete the rule in OnlineAccess tab and when you refresh, the rule still exists)
    4. Update the rule in OnlineAccess with a rule name.
    5. Recreate the deleted rules, giving each a name as you recreate them.

If you still have the problem after following the above steps, can you please provide me your Application ID, so that I can make changes for it.
    -Mahesh
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:34 PM
  • To provide some background for everyone--

This is a bug due to an unintended consequence of data type rules validation we (the HealthVault team) added recently to the Application Configuration Center.  The issue is that all rules should have names, but previously we did not enforce that technically.  When the team added validation to ensure rules are present, it was intended to only validate operations being performed, but in reality is validating all rules at once-- so if you have an app in PPE with existing rules with no name, the validation fails and prevents the operation from going forward.

Thinking this through, you've probably realized where this causes real trouble: if you have more than one rule with no name, you can only edit one rule at a time, and the other rule will cause validation to prevent you from fixing the other rule.  So you're stuck.

This only affects applications created prior to our most recent release that have rules without names, and won't be an issue once apps without rule names are fixed up.  We're also going to include a fix to the validation process to resolve this, but the fix will likely not be available in the next month as this issue can be worked around and isn't impacting production applications.

Mahesh's steps above are the first thing to try-- if you can delete the extra rules, you can get back in a good state where all rules have names.  At that point, validation will work and your app will be fine going forward.

If, however, you have problems deleting the rules, please reply with your application ID, and Mahesh and I (and the other HealthVault team memebers) can assist you directly.  We can edit your rules directly to add names and bypass the validation check in the external App Config Center.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, thanx for the speedy help!

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to delete any of my rules. Looks like the same problem as in  p://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/healthvault/thread/aedc7a0c-a4e9-486d-8f3f-751a9bce419f .

Deleting the offline rule results in a 'Authorization rule required. Deleted a rule' message. Nevertheless after refreshing the offlineaccess tab, the rule still exists.

My appid is '83063f8a-d80a-4f16-95ef-819b985d5958'. Could you be so kind to delete these rules or provide a rule-name for them?

Thanx!
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:47 PM
  • I have changed the rule names in Application Configuration Center for your Application ID and now you can go ahead, edit the existing rules and create new rules.
    -Mahesh
    • Marked as answer by remkonienhuis Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:12 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Thanx Mahesh, that works!
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:11 PM