Explorer: Cannot enable Details pane and Preview pane simultaneously

Question

• Because the Details pane has been moved to the side, only either the Details pane or the preview pane can be enabled at a time. I used to enable both when managing my files. Please allow moving the Details pane to the bottom by dragging like how you allow the Taskbar. Even apps like Live Mail or Hotmail have it in their settings on how they want the email preview panes to be - horizontal or vertical.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:44 AM

Answers

• xpclient, the Details pane and the Preview pane are now one merged pane. This change gives more vertical space to the view of items so users can see more of their content, and the Details pane is also able to show more information about the selected file. You can toggle between the Details and Preview panes either by using the mouse or the keytips provided by the ribbon (Alt-V-D and Alt-V-P, respectively).

If you need to be able to view both a full preview and details about a file at the same time, try using the View tab in the ribbon to switch to the details view mode. You can then customize the columns that appear clicking on the Add columns button on the View tab. Certain information like the item count and file size is now always available in the status bar at the bottom of the frame.

Also, if I may ask, what types of files do you typically find yourself needing to see both the details and a preview for at the same time?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:59 PM

All replies

• Windows Developer Preview allows for preview pane and details to be turned on simultaneously. To view them, in explorer, go to the ribbon. If your ribbon is hidden, click on the down arrow, to the right of the “?”. That will cause your ribbon to drop down. Under the View tab, select Preview Pane and also select details. If you prefer not to have to adjust your scrolling, click the “Size all columns to fit” button. Your preview pane will show to the right of the divider.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:39 AM
    Answerer
  • xp client is referring to the "Details pane" (not details layout) which cannot be selected simultaneously with "Preview pane".

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:03 AM
  • I believe you should check it yourself before giving an incorrect answer. By simultaneously, I mean visible at the same time on the screen. When I click preview pane on the ribbon, it takes the place of the details pane and vice versa, when I click details pane, it takes the place of the preview pane. In previous releases of Windows (Vista and 7), I could enable both the preview pane and the details pane and make them visible at the same time. I hope it is clear what I am trying to explain.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:03 AM
  • xpclient, the Details pane and the Preview pane are now one merged pane. This change gives more vertical space to the view of items so users can see more of their content, and the Details pane is also able to show more information about the selected file. You can toggle between the Details and Preview panes either by using the mouse or the keytips provided by the ribbon (Alt-V-D and Alt-V-P, respectively).

If you need to be able to view both a full preview and details about a file at the same time, try using the View tab in the ribbon to switch to the details view mode. You can then customize the columns that appear clicking on the Add columns button on the View tab. Certain information like the item count and file size is now always available in the status bar at the bottom of the frame.

Also, if I may ask, what types of files do you typically find yourself needing to see both the details and a preview for at the same time?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:59 PM
  • The panes aren't merged really. They take each other's place so only one can be enabled at a time.

I used turn both of them on for all my documents. The preview pane shows the preview without opening Word or PDFs and the details pane allows me to view and tag documents. Why does Microsoft want to increase the number of steps required? To preview a file I have to turn on the preview pane first, then turn on the details pane to tag it. Plus the biggest problem is of constant resizing now. My details pane is as small as possible but you can't preview files in a very narrow preview pane. So when preview pane is on, I have to resize it to widen it, then for Details pane, narrow it. Why can't Microsoft allow the user to move the details pane to the bottom if the Ribbon is minimized? If the Ribbon is minimized, it takes exactly as much space as a menu bar and I prefer the Details pane at the bottom. It's a matter of user preference, don't force the design change on us.

Even apps like Outlook allow the user to specify whether the pane is vertical or horizontal.

• Edited by xpclient Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Previewing a file and then tagging it is not a scenario that we were focusing on with this design change. Thanks for letting us know what your typical usage is like.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Also what about the resizing problem? Users don't set the preview pane and details pane to the same size (preview pane needs to be wider) so now constant resizing of the active pane will be required.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:03 AM
  • Because the panes are now merged, they both share the same width.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Well they should not be merged, please forward this request to the correct team. Constantly resizing the pane because they are merged is a usability nightmare. Also, the details pane in the current Windows Developer Preview cannot be resized any smaller beyond a certain fixed size which is still too wide. Letting the user decide on which side he wants the panes so his screen isn't cluttered and left with no space to display files is not too much to ask for, is it?

I also don't like how the issue is marked as an answer without the problem actually getting resolved.

• Edited by xpclient Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:11 PM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:47 PM