Unauthorized error when accessing Release Management with client RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Release Management at my TFS server. I can connect with a client running in the same vlan both with the Release Management Client and through the web interface.

Externally I can connect to the web interface but not with the client.

When trying to connect, I see that the machine sends a post request with the correct username. However, an unauthorized is returned and the client displays the message:

The server specified could not be reached. 

I'm connecting over HTTP over port 1000. I can start a telnet session to the server on that port and Wireshark tells me the client is sending data to the server but an unauthorized is returned.

What am I doing wrong?

Monday, May 26, 2014 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi WouterdeKort,  

Thanks for your post.

Do you mean that you can connect to your Release Management Server URL http://servername:1000/ReleaseManagement using IE on that external machine, but you cannot connect to your RM Server URL using RM Client on that external machine?   

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:31 AM
  • Yes exactly.

Internet Explore can connect to http://tfs-test.<mydomain>.com:1000/releasemanagement. Since I'm outside of the domain, I get a popup asking for my credentials.

However, the Release Management client can't connect. I get the error message: "The specified server could not be reached".

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:39 AM
  • Hi WouterdeKort,

Thanks for your reply.

Which account you’re using when connect to your RM Server URL in IE on the outside domain machine?

To configure Release Management to work across untrusted domains, please refer to the solution in this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/12/12/configuring-release-management-to-work-across-untrusted.aspx.     

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:10 AM
  • I've read the blog you mentioned and tried several combinations.

I've added Windows Credentials that map to my domain account for tfs-test.<mydomain>.nl. However, when running Wireshark on the target machine I see the following post request:

/account/releaseManagementService/_apis/releaseManagement/ConfigurationService/GetUserByUserName?userName=WOUTER-PC%5CWouter&api-version=1.0 

As you can see, it's using wouter-pc\wouter as credentials although I've configured the Credential Manager to use my domain account for tfs-test.<mydomain>.nl.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hi WouterdeKort,

Thanks for your reply.

For your scenario, I think you need to create the shadow account on your Release Management Server machine and Release Management Client machine separately, please refer to Jonathan’s answer reply in this similar post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/2dba68a3-14c7-420e-b7bf-be1789e039df/release-management-configure-services-error?forum=tfsbuild.   

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:58 AM
  • Hi John,

your solution is not the answer for me. I still can't connect to Release Management.

Do you have any other solution? If not, this customer won't be able to use Release Management.

Monday, June 2, 2014 10:17 AM
  • Hi WouterdeKort,

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

How about you ask these external users to access the release management server over a VPN? It should work.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:36 AM
  • Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2907777/en-us

It seems to be a known bug.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:20 PM
  • You can also try using saved credentials when accessing with the client.
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:38 AM