DataBase Migration from SQL server 2005 to SQL server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• What are the challenges and steps to be taken care for proper migration of the Database.

Applications are using the Visual Studio 2012.

saikalyan

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:06 PM

Answers

• Few things that I can think of -

• Verify all logins and users are migrated correctly.
    • Some of the SQL Server 2005 features/code could be deprecated in SQL Server 2012. Changes could be required before or after migration.
    • Some of the queries could have different performance (better or worse) on 2012 due to changes in query optimizer.
    • The applications/SSIS/DTS config files are updated to use the new server/instance name.
    • DNS alias names from the old servers (if used) are moved to the new server to have minimal impact on connection strings.
    • Plan for downtime of applications and batch processes.
    • Notify developers about the migration and the new server name(s)

- Aalam | (Blog)

• Marked as answer by SAI KALYAN Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:37 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:32 AM

All replies

• Few things that I can think of -

• Verify all logins and users are migrated correctly.
    • Some of the SQL Server 2005 features/code could be deprecated in SQL Server 2012. Changes could be required before or after migration.
    • Some of the queries could have different performance (better or worse) on 2012 due to changes in query optimizer.
    • The applications/SSIS/DTS config files are updated to use the new server/instance name.
    • DNS alias names from the old servers (if used) are moved to the new server to have minimal impact on connection strings.
    • Plan for downtime of applications and batch processes.
    • Notify developers about the migration and the new server name(s)

- Aalam | (Blog)

• Marked as answer by SAI KALYAN Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:37 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:32 AM
  • Can some body point to where we get list of SQL Server 2005 features which got deprecated in SQK Server 2012.

saikalyan

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:38 PM
  • The deprecated features from SQL Server 2005 are at -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143729(v=sql.90).aspx

On that wiki page, use the "Other Versions" drop-down just below the article heading to see deprecated features for other versions.

- Aalam | (Blog)

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

I want to migrate one of the database which is in sql server 2005 to sql server 2012.Can any one provide me with the steps for the migration.

Can we restore the back up file in sql server 2012 directly?

OR first we have to restore sql 2005 back up db in sql server 2008 r2 and then take back up of those database and restore the 2008 back up database to sql 2012? i mean to say->is it neccessary to migrate db from sql 2005 to sql 2008 and then from sql 2008 to sql 2012?if we are migrating from sql 2005 to sql 2012.

Regards,

Praseeda

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:02 AM