ODBC Informix Connection Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,
    I need your help as last chance not to force my company to downgrade my hardware to make PPV work.

I've recently been upgraded to a WIN10 16Gb RAM & 64bits system with office 2016 64bits, because I handle huge amount of data and because we are also upgrading all BI analysts positions for PowerBI use.

But for some "minor" analysis PowerPivot is still a very useful, I would say, mandatory and easy to use tool.

The issue is that I cannot download any data through the informix ODBC driver via connect-others(OLE\ODBC), because it results in crash to desktop.

Looking at the SQL.LOG tracking file enabled via the ODBC 64 bit connection driver setup, the issue seems to be an invalid buffer size error. Here's the extract

WCHAR *             0x00007FFD4E1621A0 <Invalid buffer length!> [-3]
    SWORD                       -3 
    SWORD *             0x0000000000000000
    UWORD                        0 <SQL_DRIVER_NOPROMPT>

DIAG [IM006] [Microsoft][Driver Manager ODBC] Funzione SQLSetConnectAttr del driver non riuscita. (0) 

DIAG [01S00] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver]Invalid connection string attribute. (-11005) 

DIAG [01S00] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver]Invalid connection string attribute. (-11005) 

I've read tons of forums about the topic, but the company I work for cannot upgrade to the latest informix driver. We actually have version 3.00.0000 3.00.FC2 of the ODBC Informix 64 bits driver and I am aware version 4.00 should be available.

the incredible and unexplanable thing is that this issue only arises when importing data from powerpivot. If I do exactely the same via PowerBI or excel itself (but not via the power pivot data model engine), everything goes smooth. Which makes the problem even more enigmatic.

Our IT guys are looking into it, but I'm pretty sure that the only solution they will find is a downgrade one which I would like to avoid actually!

The fact that this issue only happens with powerpivot, makes me think it's a powerpivot specific related issue. Maybe a misconfiguration with the connection string? Or 

Could you guys please give me a clue. I'm really stuck and I don't want to come back to vlookups or sumifs on millions of rows tables.

Any help from your side is very very much appreciated.

Thanks

Danilo

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 4:50 PM

All replies