none
Multiple IP Addresses on a single adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I would like to know if it is possible to have multiple IP addresses on a single adapter under CE 6.0?  The reason is that I have 2 devices on a network which one is a backup of the other and the backup must get every communication of the active device in case it has to take over.

So the configuration I would like to have is that Device A has IP addresses 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.03 , Device B has IP addresses 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3.  So when the "master" communicate with this cluster it is using 192.168.0.3 address.  It can also access each individual devices with is unique address if He needs to.

Thank you,

Keaven

Monday, September 20, 2010 5:15 PM

Answers

• Found my problem, I was so focused on the IP addresses of my device's adapter that I forgot to change my submask on my PC adapter to include new address.

Thank you,

• Marked as answer by Keaven Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:28 PM

All replies

• Yes, it's possible (or at least it was possible in CE5).  However, there is no built-in user interface to setting things that way, so you'll have to use the IpHelper API to add an IP address (the second one), to the adapter, once the system is running.  It's also possible that you can make this work by modifying the registry only, making the IP address value be a REG_MULTI_SZ type and put each IP address there.  I presume, as I've never tried this, that you'd need to do the same for the subnet mask, and the gateway address.

Paul T.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Hello Paul,

I managed to give 2 different addresses for my NIC on my device.  The only problem I am having is that only one address is seen on the network.  On the device I can ping both addresses but the network only sees the first address in the list.

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Found my problem, I was so focused on the IP addresses of my device's adapter that I forgot to change my submask on my PC adapter to include new address.

Thank you,

• Marked as answer by Keaven Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:28 PM