none
automated timesheet approval RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

We are trying to simplify our timesheet approval process.  We want to know is there a way when the resource manager approves the timesheet.  It is automatically bypass the project manager for task updates for approval. I did look at the automated rules, but there is not a way to specify only when the resource mangers approve the timesheet time. 

Any idea?

Thanks,

kkmick

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi kkmick,

Status Update approval and Timesheet approval are completely independent processes, due to different responsiblities.

A PM is in charge for his project, to control that estimated time and costs are kept. So he needs to approve Status Updates, since they update his project. A project manager can however set up rules, e.g. to auto-approve all updates automatically. However, I suggest to set-up rules like Task Updates with some rules like "Where updated field matches a field in the published project" to make sure that there are no un-controlled changes on project plan. Even with setting up this kind of rules, he will still to publish the project afterwards.

A ressource manager is responsible for for people reporting to him, working on several projects. With a Timesheet Approval he takes care over what his people are doing each day. By design, he is not responsible for the project. So there is no way to auto-approve Status Updates after a Timesheet Manager approved a timesheet, sorry.

You can implement the opposite but I think that is not what you want: You can define, that a Timesheet Manager can't approve a timesheet until all status updates had been approved by the PM (Status Manager).

There is a chance to do this with an eventhandler and custom code, of course.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by kkmick Friday, March 25, 2011 4:31 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi kkmick,

Status Update approval and Timesheet approval are completely independent processes, due to different responsiblities.

A PM is in charge for his project, to control that estimated time and costs are kept. So he needs to approve Status Updates, since they update his project. A project manager can however set up rules, e.g. to auto-approve all updates automatically. However, I suggest to set-up rules like Task Updates with some rules like "Where updated field matches a field in the published project" to make sure that there are no un-controlled changes on project plan. Even with setting up this kind of rules, he will still to publish the project afterwards.

A ressource manager is responsible for for people reporting to him, working on several projects. With a Timesheet Approval he takes care over what his people are doing each day. By design, he is not responsible for the project. So there is no way to auto-approve Status Updates after a Timesheet Manager approved a timesheet, sorry.

You can implement the opposite but I think that is not what you want: You can define, that a Timesheet Manager can't approve a timesheet until all status updates had been approved by the PM (Status Manager).

There is a chance to do this with an eventhandler and custom code, of course.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by kkmick Friday, March 25, 2011 4:31 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Thank you Barbara
    Friday, March 25, 2011 6:18 PM