More supported file types - PLEASE!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I posted http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/messengerconnect/thread/825e5e32-a4d4-4049-ba88-a9d0e4c0df87 but as the issue is answered I guess I got no reply:

I'm begging for more file support via the API.  My app 'Pocket Plans' is the only CAD app for WP7 and reads DWFx files.  This is a widely supported file format but is not in your list off supported file formats and therefore cannot use SkyDrive.  I have had a reviewer give me 1 star just because I didn't support SkyDrive - that's how much people want their apps to integrate with SkyDrive so please allow the developers to support this.  It's really frustrating.

I'm not asking you to open the floodgates and allow us to use it to replace SqlAzure - just allow common 'document' formats.

Michael

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks for this feedback Michael. We'll be reviewing our policy on supported file formats in the near future and will consider the use case of DWFx files when we do. 
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:22 PM

All replies

• Thanks for this feedback Michael. We'll be reviewing our policy on supported file formats in the near future and will consider the use case of DWFx files when we do. 
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:22 PM
  • Thanks Dare,

I appreciate you getting back on this.  Do you have any timeframe for the review - 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years?  I just want to know how to set expectation on this - i.e. should I be removing SkyDrive integration from the product imlementation roadmap?

Michael

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Hi Dare,

I noticed that you posted on Twitter about this topic but more specifically about apps performing back-ups(not really what I need but related):

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-live-program-manager-reassures-developers-their-apps-will-not-be-pulled-for-backing-up-to-skydrive/

Any more news on further mime-type support?  Is this something that is really so involved? - I mean we're talking about allowing an already supported file format: it's an Open Packaging Format the same as the currently allowed Docx and Xlsx formats.

Michael

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:09 AM
  • I'd like to add common "consumer" file formats to this list. For now there is no official Android client for SkyDrive so Android users are at the mercy of the public API. My app Android Explorer for SkyDrive is one of the more popular clients and is no exception.

Users are complaining about the lack of something even as simple as mp3 uploads. This is 2012 and a public API for cloud storage has no support for uploading the most popular music file format in the world.

Quote from comments on my app:

"The SkyDrive app refuses to let me copy any of my mp3 files. It claims that it does not support the format. Mp3 being 1 of the most common type of music/audio file formats in use, I would have thought it was a default file type. If it can't deal with mp3s, then I really don't see it recognising video files, like say mp4. The designers of this app need to remove the blerb based on the actual computer app as designed by Microsoft and write their own, maybe I'd have been able to give it 4 stars instead of 2."

- William Killerud

• Edited by wkillerud Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:49 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Yes William - I totally agree (except that .mp4 is supported).  And just to add fuel to the fire - here's the reason I got a 1 star review from a customer:

"Not a high rating only because I can't use it. Be better if i could access my docs on my sky drive."

Still no reply on timelines from Dare.

Michael

Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:38 PM