Getting a ScrollBar to respond to touch

Question

• We have a situation in an app where we need to have a ScrollViewer like appearance but can't use ScrollViewer itself for a couple reasons.  First is that the content inside is actually virtualized and doesn't scroll via content elements moving. When "scrolling" occurs, the content stays in its same location and is simply repainted according to the scroll offsets.  Further, we can't capture touch events in the content area because touch and touch drags are used directly on the content as an input.

What we ended up doing was making a ScrollViewer-like layout where the content is in a Grid with vertical and horizontal ScrollBars on the sides.  This works great for mouse and pen input but it seems like the ScrollBar control in WinRT completely ignores all touch input.

If that design decision by Microsoft was made thinking touch would be done using gestures over content in a ScrollViewer, I can respect that.  But there SHOULD be an option on standalone ScrollBar to allow touch input for scenarios where it's used outside of a ScrollViewer.  Otherwise there's a big control there that users think they can interact with, only to get frustrated when touching it does nothing.

1) Please add an option for supporting touch on ScrollBar to WinRT for Win10.

2) Are there any workarounds where we can get touch input fully working like mouse/pen input on ScrollBar?

actiprosoftware.com - Professional WPF, WinRT, Silverlight, and WinForms UI controls and components

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:42 PM

All replies

• Windows 10 is a preview version, need to be fix by microsoft.
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:47 AM
  • The problem I'm reporting and asking for a workaround on is in WinRT for Windows 8.x. I'm asking for Microsoft to at least add an option for WinRT vNext.

actiprosoftware.com - Professional WPF, WinRT, Silverlight, and WinForms UI controls and components

Thursday, February 26, 2015 11:58 AM
  • You can post a feedback in here:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/

Windows Phone/Windows Store

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:02 AM