Excel Spreadsheet corrupted (.xls) - Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all and thank you in advance for your help.

One of my customers has an Excel 2003 document that appears to be corrupt.

When I open the excel document I get the following error:
    "The file you are trying to open, 'database.xls' is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupt and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?"

I click yes and the file does open but it has totally lost its formatting and has strange characters throughout the document - I believe it to be corrupt.

Example of  contents:
     €HƒÄ0_^[ÃÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌH‰\$ UVWHƒìP3íH‹ñHƒËÿH‰¬$€  HÿÃf9,Yu÷HD$xH [üÿÿE3ÉH‰D$@H„$€E3ÀH‰D$8H‰l$0HÇÁ €ÇD$(   Û‰l$x‰l$ ÿ ?úÿÿ‹ø…Àu'H‹Œ$€DH H æûÿÿE3À‰\$(H‰t$ ÿ  úÿÿ‹øH‹Œ$€H…Ét ÿ ßùÿÿ…ÿu ‹ÅH‹\$pHƒÄP_^]à ‹ÇH‹\$pHƒÄP_^]ÃH‹\$p ·Ç

I have tried various methods of recovery to no avail:
    - Opening with Excel and selecting 'Open and Repair'
    - Trying to fix with Open Office
    - Trying other file extensions in case its not actually a XLS
    - Trying various "excel recovery trials" - All useless

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can recover this document?

Note:
    Due to the content I cannot upload it.  This is not a problem with displaying the ExtensionsHardening flag in the registry. Also, the customer does not have a backup.

Thank you
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Emilstarblack7,

According to your description, you are using excel 2003, which is not supported now. I suggest that you could use higher version of excel.

On the other hand, for non-programing issue of excel, the Excel IT Pro Discussion forum is a better place, I suggest that you should post it to Excel IT Pro Discussion forum if you have non-programing issue of excel.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 30, 2015 6:09 AM

All replies