none
Visual studio 2019 Query designer error “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” for report server ssrs report) RRS feed

• Question

• I set up a new new visual studio 2019 environment to use for SSRR reports(Creating a report server project) as I was having the same issue with visual studio 2017,After creating the data source and then going on to creating the data set and selecting query designer I get the below mentioned error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Microsoft SQL Server Report Designer)",

I have tried this in VS 2017 with SSDT installed and on the first run it worked however i have been getting the same error thereafter.I have uninstalled removed  both version and reinstalled as well as with ssdt 2017 but still get the same error

I do have a few different SQL instances on my machine(SQL2008,2012,2016).Im not sure if that will cause any problems.

I also select Ole-db as the Data source and Microsoft ole-db provider for SQL sever as the provider

https://i.stack.imgur.com/K0pRp.png
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/un41l.png

Error Msg:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Microsoft SQL Server Report Designer)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.QueryBuilderCtl.InitQueryBuilder()
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.QueryBuilderCtlWithToolBar.InitQueryBuilder()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.VDTQueryDesigner.InitializeVDTQueryDesigner()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.VDTQueryDesigner.InitializeQueryDesigner()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.InternalQueryDesignerWrapper.InitializeDesigner()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.InternalQueryDesignerWithGenericModeWrapper.Initialize()

• Edited by Mobee_ Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:37 PM

All replies

• I am experiencing the exact same issue with one particular laptop we have here. The first time it works perfectly, but after that we are met with object not set to the instance of an object. Have you made any headway with this?
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 4:27 PM