none
Error installing Net Framework 4.7.2 - Already installed.. but it´s not... RRS feed

• Question

• i Have a Win2016 Server, but this server has been upgraded from a Win2012R2

Currently i have NF 4.6, as seen in Server Manager and looking at the registry key we have:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP" /s | find "4."
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\CDF\v4.0
        SMSvcHostPath    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\
        InstallPath    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\
        TargetVersion    REG_SZ    4.0.0
        Version    REG_SZ    4.6.01586
        InstallPath    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4.0\Client
        Version    REG_SZ    4.0.0.0

But the problem is: When i try to install the 4.7.2 (offline server) the message is: "It´s already installed, want to remove or repair"... weird. I´m pretty sure it´s not installed and besides that, i´m trying to install a new application which needs 4.7.2 version and the app doesn´t install

So, i tried to install 4.7.0 (NDP47-KB3186497-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe) and worked oK

Ok, Upgarde was done

BRDC1-SRV0019 C:\Users\fborup-adm>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP" /s | find "4.7"
        Version    REG_SZ    4.7.02558

SO i tried to install 4.7.1 and the install was OK, reboot and.... same version, it stills running 4.7.02558, even after installing properly the NDP471-KB4033342-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe package and rebooted

And, even how, if i try to install 4.7.2, I still got the error regarding asking to reinstall/uninstall 4.7.2

So, i uninstalled 4.7.2 using the setup (NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe) and quicly returned with the unsinstall procedure being done, and no reboot asked

and...

if I try to setup 4.7.2 again... ask for unsinatll/repair.. again and again

• Moved by Dave PatrickMVP Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:14 PM .Net issues
    • Edited by KayZerSoze Tuesday, April 16, 2019 6:07 PM typo
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi KayZerSoze

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I tried to repro this issue, I installed NDP472-KB4054531.exe by MS .NET framework 4.7.2 web installer : http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=863262 . run it and show the error info” .NET Framework 4.7.2 or a later update is already installed on this computer.”. in general, this error indicates that it’s unnecessary to do any action, just need to determine which versions of the .NET Framework was installed on your system, see How to: Determine Which .NET Framework Versions Are Installed.

You should not to check the “version”, to check “release” instead. I checked my windows update, it shows my server is up to date (so please make sure windows update is up to date in your side).

Then run registry and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full, check for a DWORD entry named Release. Its value is a release key that corresponds to a particular version of the .NET Framework. In the following figure, for example, the value of the Release entry is 461814, which is the release key for .NET Framework 4.7.2.

If your release value is same as me, you don’t have to install any extra .net.

Please feel free to let me know if it unblocks you.

Sincerely

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:58 AM
  • The current situation is:

1) I´m trying to insall an App and the App setup stops, saying that there is no NF 4.7.2 installed

2) My internal WSUS distributes all possible patches for Win2016, everyting is as current as possible

3) The REG Keys shows Version    REG_SZ    4.7.02558 even after installing successfully 4.7.1

4) The REG key shows 0x709fe / 461310 as "release"

5) Installing 4.7.2 shows "add/remove/fix" option, like an installed NF, but isn´t liklly to be installed

6) I tried to remove and reinstall 4.7.2.. no change

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 1:33 PM
  • Hi KayZerSoze,

install KB4073120 by manually on your service : https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4073120 . reboot and test it.

The REG key shows 0x709fe / 461310 as "release"” indicates the NF 4.7.1 installed.

Installing 4.7.2 shows "add/remove/fix" option, like an installed NF, but isn´t liklly to be installed”/ ”I tried to remove and reinstall 4.7.2.. no change” could you share the snapshot? Where did you try to uninstall it? Control panel?

May  

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:33 AM
  • My Win2016 is 1607, Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

Error:

[Window Title]
    Windows Update Standalone Installer

[Main Instruction]
    Windows Update Standalone Installer

[Content]
    The update is not applicable to your computer.

[OK]

Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:01 PM
  • Hi KayZerSoze,

Sorry for the reply delays.

Could you reproduce this issue then upload the error log there? We will investigate it further.

May

Sunday, May 5, 2019 3:11 AM