Power BI online datasource RRS feed

• Question

• Hi team,

Just had a situation like this.

I have a report which use local files as data source to create dashboard reports.

I just wonder how to upgrade the local data source to online data source (either upload those data to a website or use a cloud service)

I don't have a sever or share point right now.

Could you please provide some advice on this issue?

Cheers,

Tom Sun 

Sunday, May 14, 2017 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

Yes, you can still open it online without installing Power BI desktop on your computer.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 15, 2017 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

"online data source" refers to Power BI service? If it is, you create a dashboard using local files in Power BI desktop, then you publish it to Power Bi service. If the data resource has been changed, you need to publish the new .pbix file and replace the old one.

Thanks,
    Angelia 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 15, 2017 2:31 AM
  • Hi Angelia,

Yes I am talking about Power BI service.

The question I had is once the report hast been published, does the report can be opened online, even without installing power BI on the computer?

Cheers,

Tom Sun

Monday, May 15, 2017 4:25 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Yes, you can still open it online without installing Power BI desktop on your computer.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support

Monday, May 15, 2017 5:44 AM