none
Drivers Signing Enforcement (Windows 7 32 Bit) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have read that the "driver signing enforcement" is not configured to block unsigned drivers on most versions of Windows 7 32 bit.

However, when I tested this with a fresh-installed Windows 7 Professional (no hot-fixes, no Service Pack) and tried to install an unsigned driver, the driver was blocked due the fact it is not digitally signed.

I am trying to understand which specific versions of Windows 7 (32 bit) is allowing (by default) to register/load unsigned drivers.

Thanks ahead.
    Hadar

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• It's a software driver.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:54 PM
  • Hey Pavel,

Thank you for your help.

The point is not a specific driver. I'm trying to understand this subject generally. In which specific versions of Windows 7 32 bit can the user register an unsigned driver without changing any settings (default configuration).

Monday, February 2, 2015 10:09 AM
  • Assuming you are using the dpinst.exe utility (see the DDK7 or WDK8 kit directories), an unsigned driver requires the /LM (i.e. legacy mode) to cause Win 7-32 to (usually) allow the install. If your driver is signed, then all you do is run  dpinst (or dpinst64 for Win 7-64)  where the driver package (INF, SYS, other files) are located. dpinst /help lists all the arg options.

You may find this link helpful as well

http://pixcl.com/Signing_Windows_8_Drivers.htm

Stewart Dibbs, PiXCL Automation Technologies, Canada

Monday, February 2, 2015 5:28 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

Thanks again. Could you please elaborate about the special types?
    What do you mean by class? It was developed using KMDF.

Because like I said, I tested it on a fresh installation of Windows 7 32 Bit, and the tested driver was blocked.
    Of course we didn't delete/set any registry keys or values.

• Edited by Hadar0x Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:16 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:53 PM