Blend 3 doesn't support VS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Any idea when we'll have a patch for Blend 3 to support VS 2010 Beta 2 and higher ?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:23 AM

Answers

• Sorry, but unfortunately we cannot comment dates of future releases. All we can say at this point is - ".Net Framework 4 Beta 2 support will be available in Expression Blend very shortly".

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by GearWorld Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:45 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hello ?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Would you explain further the problem?   Do you mean that you cannot open a VS 2010 project in Blend 3?  I don't have VS 2010 beta or whatever installed but have thought about downloading it.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:46 AM
  • Exactly.  When I load my project in Blend 3 it says UNSUPPORTED PROJECT and I need to test both side by side so Is there any patch for Blend 3 so we can load VS 2010 solution ?

Everything is loaded except the WEB PROJECT and of course nothing works in Blend 3 because of that since I'm unable to BUILD, every single xaml
    can't be shown

Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 is awesome and I'm sure my money will be used to buy it.  But I really need Blend 3 to work with VS 2010 solution
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Here's an except from Tim Hauer

Here is one thing that will be a gotcha.  If you choose the Edit in Expression Blend action while in VS2010, and have Blend 3 installed, you will see that Blend will start but with this message:

Blend Warning 1

Despite what the message says, when you decide to go ahead and open the unsupported project file you will be greeted with:

Blend Warning 2

So there would be your first major caveat.  Your VS2010 project files wouldn’t be able to be opened by Expression Blend 3.  Now, I say this with caution because I’ve had some BASIC projects that have, and others that have not.  Essentially it isn’t ‘supported’ but this will be one of those areas where your mileage may vary.  This may cause you some slight discomfort when needing to tweak visual states or animations, among other things you may use Blend for (resource design, etc.).

Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:05 PM
  • And here's my comment on his blog :

My God,

Hope we'll get a patch for Blend 3 to support VS 2010 format AS SOON AS POSSIBLE because I can't live without Blend 3 side by side with VS 2010 that have now eated my solution and I have no backup and also I'm not interested to go back since I saw what VS 2010 is.

So I live with VS2010 poor designer right now to help me but Ahhhhhhhhhhh man, HURRY Expression team, GO TEAM GO !
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Hi,
          Blend 3 works side by side with VS2008. Though Blend 3 will be able to open TargetFrameworkVersion v3.5 projects in a VS2010 solution, I won't recommend using it as this scenario is not supported. Next version of Blend will support .Net 4.0 and will work side by side with VS2010.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    • Proposed as answer by navits - MSFT Monday, October 26, 2009 7:54 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:54 AM
  • Hi,
          Blend 3 works side by side with VS2008. Though Blend 3 will be able to open TargetFrameworkVersion v3.5 projects in a VS2010 solution, I won't recommend using it as this scenario is not supported. Next version of Blend will support .Net 4.0 and will work side by side with VS2010.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena

Hi dear sir,
    Any road map for the "Next version of Blend"?

Best wishes,
    Li Xiangxiang
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:07 AM
  • My experience with Blend 3 and VS 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP and Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 is:

If I create a Silverlight project in VS, then there is no problem in opening a particular xaml file from it in Blend 3.

If I create a WPF project in VS, then Blend 3 will not open it, saying that "The file or folder................... is not a valid Blend project." But, I can get around this if all I want to do is edit a particular xaml file in the VS WPF project by simply copying its xaml code and pasting into file in a Blend 3 WPF project.

Monday, October 26, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

Regards,
    Navit Saxena

The question is when.  Since I'm BETA TESTING the product. it would be wise to make it so it works with Blend 3 with a single easy to do patch for it no ?
    My work around is to open the project in Blend 3 anyway and since I can modify my xaml, I don't need to build the project in Blend 3 except that some UserControl isn't rendered because we can't build but its not necessary.  All in all, I can continue working but well, I can't test, working with VS2010 and go on one side and the other as for testing everything correctly.  The meaning of BETA TESTING is all there and we know for sure that those 2 products are now husban and wife if you see what I mean.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Sorry, but unfortunately we cannot comment dates of future releases. All we can say at this point is - ".Net Framework 4 Beta 2 support will be available in Expression Blend very shortly".

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by GearWorld Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:45 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Thank you sir.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:45 PM
  • I don't expect full support from Microsoft on Blend working with VS 2010 Beta2/RC - but it would be nice to have a workaround.

I work with graphics designers that must use Blend.
    But I also tasted VS 2010 RC and now I'm hooked.

So I'm sad I can't upgrade my projects to VS 2010 RC and continue working with Blend 3.

Is there anyway I could manually change my VS 2010 projects so they work with both Blend 3 and VS 2010 RC?  I will not call support if something goes wrong, this would be a completely un-supported workaround.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:41 AM
  • Hi Emmanuel,

at this time Blend 3 only works with VS 2010 Beta2.

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/202f5fd2-acf2-403c-8b33-5a3bf0c371d4

Hope this helps.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Hi Gunter, thanks for the info.

If I'm still targetting the .NET 3.5 framework, there's really no reason for Blend 3 not to be able to open projects that have been upgraded to vs 2010.

It would be nice if future versions of Visual Studio were a bit smarter and allowed me to save to a lower version - for example "Save As Visual Studio 2008 project".

This is similar to what Word 2007 and Word 2010 do by allowing me to save a *.DOC file (word 2003) instead of *.DOCX (word 2007/open xml).

This way Blend would not have any issues until the Blend team came out with a patch that supports the latest version (vs 2010 beta 2, vs 2010 rc, vs 2010 rtm, etc...).

I realize this remark is for the visual studio team, but I opened a thread there and got no responses.  Hopefully someone from Microsoft is reading this and can pass it on to the visual studio team.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:23 AM
  • can you give us a hint if it will be days, weeks or months ? :-)

Friday, February 19, 2010 10:45 AM
  • Unni Ravindranathan - MSFT Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals replied  Answeron 26-Oct-2009 and since then the Blend development team has been like a black hole. Nothing has come out.

Yet, we all know that they have been working their little socks off.

The first clue that I saw was on Victor Gaudioso's blog demonstrating a version of Blend which supports Silverlight 4!!!

At the top of Victor's version of Expression is the title "Expression Blend preview for .NET 4"

You can find Victor's Excellent Expresion Blend tutorial series on his blog here:

http://victorgaudioso.wordpress.com/

(Note that his first turorial still uses the RTM version of Expression Blend 3, but that the 2nd tutorial is using the Blend preview for .NET 4)

Even if the Blend team find that it is not possible to release public beta's or release candidates that work alongside the public beta's of VS2010 and Silverlight 4, I think that they could be a little bit more forthcoming about being able to support the RTM's of both VS2010 and Silverlight 4 which I think most of us are going to be looking for around the time of MIX2010 (Mid March I think).
    Sox
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:29 AM
  • I'm working on a VSTO an  Silverlight hybrid project that is bogged down because
    of version interoperability. I would love to have Silverlight and VS2010/VSTO work together.

I have my hands full with VSTO and VS2010RC bugs; the worst of which is .NET installs break
    VS2010RC. Best we can do is focus on each side development and let the back end catch up.

You can have vs2008 and expression blend work, and worst I have to hand code c# and .XML objects.

I hope to be much more active on the expression Blend side of things once I get some assets working properly and
    get some of the sandboxing/shadowboxing issues solved too.

Cheers!

dB

doctor K
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Hello Sox, I am not letting anything out of the bag when I use the new Preview version of Blend to develop Silverlight 4 apps.  If you go to the Silverlight.net homepage and click the GetStarted link you will then see a link for SL 4 Beta.  On that page you will find the following link:

Microsoft Expression Blend for .NET 4 Preview
    This is a preview version of Expression Blend that will enable authoring of Silverlight 4 Beta applications.

This is public.  However, to my most current knowledge you will not be able to use this in conjunction with VS 2010  RC but only with VS 2010 Beta.

Hope this helps,
    Victor Gaudioso
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 2:43 PM
  • My speculation the Blend team is working very hard - not on the version which works with 2010RC, but on the version which can design for Windows Phone 7 ;) Don't expect it before Mix ;)
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:34 AM