why is hidden parameter taking up real estate on my report? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi we run 2016 enterprise.  I have 5 parameters in my report. the first is hidden. it must be first (I think, error says something about forward dependencies) cuz the 2nd param depends on it. short of introducing enough additional hidden params so at least it looks normal (originally 2nd param would show left justified on 2nd line of params) what can I do? It looks ridiculous.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:58 PM

All replies

• it gets weirder.  when I introduce 2 more hidden params to force 1st visible to second line, 1st visible starts left justified on 1st line of params.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:59 PM
  • Hi db042190,

When you set parameter in SSDT, it will display all of them in  Parameter toolbar. If you set parameter to "hidden", when you run the report, the hidden parameter will disappear(its place will be remove) 

I think this is by design.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 2:31 AM
  • mine was not removed in preview.  It occupied space without showing anything.  until I tried moving 1st visible to next line by introducing additional hiddens.  Then none of the hiddens occupied space.  The only difference between your example and my first attempt was that I had only one hidden param and it might be important to note that 2nd param defaults to null which means it has that null checkbox showing to its right.

• Edited by db042190 Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:47 PM more
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:43 PM
  • Hi db042190,

Did you mean like below?

This seems to base on column to display(this might be default), so if you want to align parameter in two lines, you could try to add parameter like below

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 12, 2018 7:17 AM
  • yes but not sure what u r saying about how it really works. 

In my case I basically introduced enough hidden parameters to push 1st visible param to next line. 

And then ssrs did me a favor by making that next line appear as the first line of params.  ie first line disappeared. 

I think in your case, u pushed 2nd visible param to second line and then ssrs did u a favor by not occupying space ANYMORE with hidden params.  And the two visibles lined up vertically. 

Hope I never have to explain this to anybody.   

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Hi db042190,

I have provided my design and solution, it seems not what you want. Image plus text can help us understand the problem better, so if possible, could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your parameter pane and what will it show when your preview in web portal, and what is your expecting output) by screenshots or drawings. Then I will help you more correctly.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, October 18, 2018 7:48 AM
  • I just learned today that as weird as this stuff is, u can drag parameters around in the parameter toolbar.  Maybe that's what Zoe was saying. 

Had I known this, I probably wouldn't have created placeholders in the original report.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:42 PM