none
Migrating .net 1.1 webservices to .net 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

•  Im planning to migrate .net 1.1 webservices to .net 3.5. After the initial assesment of the requirement.

i got two options

1. Rewrite the entire code including the business and datalayers using the new language features of .net 3.5, transform the webservices to WCF

2. Rewrite the entire code including the business and datalayers using the new language features of .net 3.5, keep the existing webservices and convert them in .net 3.5

suggestions are requested. 

Baji Prasad
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:26 PM

All replies

• Are you looking to utilize anything that WCF has to offer over the "legacy" XML Web Services? IMHO I would go ahead and convert the services to WCF simply because it shouldn't be all that much work.  The services classes themselves are typically very thin and just wrap around your business logic.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:30 PM
  • yes  i want make my new architecture as SOA and wants to use the benefits provided by WCF over the legacy XML webservices.

As im into investment banking domain, reliablity is more important than performance.

Baji Prasad
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Greetings,

You can introduce wcf layer as intermediate layer ie. between the UI and WCF Layer

Sample Flow:

UI <===> WCF <===>  BUSINESS LOGIC <==> DATA ACCESS LAYER <==> DATABASE

Alot of rework can be reduced here. The scope is huge  for the user interface for desktop or in web application in .net 3.5. But the development will be more , you try to change the UI along with wcf layer.

You need to decide on this point.

Take Care

PL

Helping People To Solve Technical Problems
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hi Programmerlive,

thanks for your reply.

Actually im planning to migrate my webservices and im looking  for the best design approaches and changes which i can get using .Net 3.5.

i can prompt for the changes in data and business layers, if it gives me more reliablity and performance compared to the current webservices(.net 1.1)

-> even i want to extend my type of clients. like  i want to make my service consumable by different type of clients.

-> i want my design to be flexible so that it can accomidate any technological enhancements.

Regarding UI, my webservices(.net 1.1) are not tightly coupled with any of the UI.

Baji Prasad
    Monday, April 26, 2010 4:27 PM