none
From a to b to c

Question

• Hi,

I'm just starting in the ESB Toolkit, and I want to create an itinary that gets a message from a one way port, then sends it to the SQL Adapter to do an insert (request / response), and then with the result of that insert, trigger another one way send port. This is a scenario that I could configure in BizTalk as message routing using pub/sub.

I found the sample on configuring the SQL WCF port, so no problems there. What I cannot find is how to do the one way request - two way request response- one way outrequest stuff.

Would this mean creating two off-ramps? and how to configure the off-ramp ports? And would the itinary be a one way itinary or a two way?

Pim
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 8:30 AM

Answers

• This would be a one-way itinerary with two off-ramps.  The first off-ramp would your two way off-ramp and would be marked as two-way although the itinerary would not.  Also make sure to send it to a solicit-response off-ramp.  The next off-ramp would be a one-way off ramp.  This was a tested scenario and should work correctly for you.

If you look in the MultipleWebServices sample under the folder below there is an output of an itinerary called OneWayMessagingMultipleWebServices.xml.  Although the original itinerary source is not there this will give you an example of what you want to do.  Hernan posted a tool that reverse engineers itineraries from xml which you could use to see the itinerary in the designer.

C:\projects\Microsoft.Practices.ESB\Source\Samples\MultipleWebServices\Itineraries

Import tool discussion:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/biztalkesb/thread/be2b9728-1b59-47c2-b8bc-56b028e63ccb

Thanks,

Brendon Birdoes, Neudesic
    Friday, August 7, 2009 3:43 AM
  • After some fighting, I got the sample to work. There was an error in it since it wrote to the wrong sollicit response port. The design importer helped me a bit, but did not manage to reproduce the right itinerary.

I posted the fix to my blog: http://pim.waaijenberg.net/index.php/2009/08/a-b-c-itinerary-using-the-esb-toolkit/

Both the itinerary and the xml files are up for upload!

Pim

• Marked as answer by pimw Monday, August 10, 2009 8:57 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:56 AM

All replies

• This would be a one-way itinerary with two off-ramps.  The first off-ramp would your two way off-ramp and would be marked as two-way although the itinerary would not.  Also make sure to send it to a solicit-response off-ramp.  The next off-ramp would be a one-way off ramp.  This was a tested scenario and should work correctly for you.

If you look in the MultipleWebServices sample under the folder below there is an output of an itinerary called OneWayMessagingMultipleWebServices.xml.  Although the original itinerary source is not there this will give you an example of what you want to do.  Hernan posted a tool that reverse engineers itineraries from xml which you could use to see the itinerary in the designer.

C:\projects\Microsoft.Practices.ESB\Source\Samples\MultipleWebServices\Itineraries

Import tool discussion:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/biztalkesb/thread/be2b9728-1b59-47c2-b8bc-56b028e63ccb

Thanks,

Brendon Birdoes, Neudesic
    Friday, August 7, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Thanks! I am looking into it now. I'm making some progress already. The import tool will help a lot, reading that xml is difficult.

Pim

Friday, August 7, 2009 9:23 AM
  • After some fighting, I got the sample to work. There was an error in it since it wrote to the wrong sollicit response port. The design importer helped me a bit, but did not manage to reproduce the right itinerary.

I posted the fix to my blog: http://pim.waaijenberg.net/index.php/2009/08/a-b-c-itinerary-using-the-esb-toolkit/

Both the itinerary and the xml files are up for upload!

Pim

• Marked as answer by pimw Monday, August 10, 2009 8:57 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:56 AM
  • hi

Does anyone know how to do this if its file locations rather than web services? e.g Input-Map1-OutputToArchive-Map2-OutputToArchive2 etc.

thanks
    Friday, March 12, 2010 4:19 PM