none
In which language is an Excel add-in in the store coded? RRS feed

• Question

• (I have also posted this question in "Office 365 for developers")

Hello,

I would like to develop an add-in for Excel like what we can find in office add-in store.

Could anyone tell me in which language these add-ins have been coded, are they all VSTO?

A big part of my current code (ie, an analyser) is written in OCaml. And I will need to develop the components of a normal add-in (eg, custom take pane, dialog window) to wrap the analyser. Is this scenario common or possible?

Thank you

• Edited by chengtie Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi chengtie,

>> For OCaml, as it is a web application, we could well use any language and technology supported in our server, as long as it is wrapped and called by JavaScript, no?

I am not familiar with OCaml, based on your description, it seems I have some misunderstanding about OCaml. If it is a web application, you could use them in Excel add in.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:54 AM

All replies

• Hi chengtie,

>> In which language is an Excel add-in in the store coded?

For developing Excel add-in, you could use Excel JavaScript API and HTML. They are complete different from VSTO. You could develop task pane in Excel add in, but this task pane is developed by JavaScript and HTML.

>>A big part of my current code (ie, an analyser) is written in OCaml. And I will need to develop the components of a normal add-in (eg, custom take pane, dialog window) to wrap the analyser

OCaml is not supported in EXCEL Add-in, for more information about Excel add-in, you could refer the link below:

#Build your first Excel add-in

http://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/excel/build-your-first-excel-add-in

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Hello Edward,

Thanks for your reply...

For OCaml, as it is a web application, we could well use any language and technology supported in our server, as long as it is wrapped and called by JavaScript, no?

Tie

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:26 PM
  • Hi chengtie,

>> For OCaml, as it is a web application, we could well use any language and technology supported in our server, as long as it is wrapped and called by JavaScript, no?

I am not familiar with OCaml, based on your description, it seems I have some misunderstanding about OCaml. If it is a web application, you could use them in Excel add in.

Best Regards,

Edward

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:54 AM