How to create a custom Windows 8 device charm using C#

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am working on a project where a user plugs in a special USB device that will interact with a program later. How do I make a custom device charm similar to that of Window's Second Screen charm?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:02 PM

All replies

• Don't really understand . Can you capture your screens then post it here?

chanmm

chanmm

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:44 AM
  • I am not able to capture the screens at the moment. What I am trying to do is: once somebody plugs in a special usb device, it will show up on the devices menu in windows 8.

Alex

Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:08 PM
  • You can always make screenshots. Either with snipping tool (Vista and later) or by hitting PrintScreen and pasting the Clipboard into a image programm of your choice.

Save it as png and and desktop capture will easily pass into the 1 MiB limit for insterting Pictures directly into the post (there are 8 buttons when posting, look at the tooltips).

Let's talk about MVVM: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/b1a8bf14-4acd-4d77-9df8-bdb95b02dbe2

Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:23 PM
  • What do you want to do with that? 

Please consider my reply. Please mark it as helpful. :)

Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:29 PM
  • The reason I couldn't take a screen shot is because I wasn't at my Windows 8 computer. What I would like to do with that side bar is add a custom device to the Devices tab. Like the second screen application that Microsoft has.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 3:36 AM
  • "once somebody plugs in a special usb device, it will show up on the devices menu in windows 8."

USB devices show up in devices for me. If it is a 'special' device then maybe you should talk to the manufacturer of the device.

Paul Linton

Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:56 AM
  • But how do I set the start up program that will bind to the Devices charm. For instance, you plug in the usb device, and it gets added to the devices charm. Now how does one interact with the charm in order to run program that works with the device (an example program is the Second Screen charm)?
    Monday, February 18, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Hi wallarelvo,

What kind of APP are you trying to do? Is it Windows Store app?

Regards,

Lisa Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Hi Lisa, 

The app is planned to be a windows store application.

Regards,

Alex

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

I think you could use Popup as a flyout to create a customized Charm.

Here is the sample:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/XAML-Popup-sample-5ae00a42

And this blog may help you:

http://reflectionit.nl/Blog/2012/windows-8-xaml-tips-show-a-task-pane

Aaron
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:05 AM
  • Since you're trying to couple hardware and an app, I think this question is better asked in the tailoring apps for hardware forum. I'm moving it over there.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:16 PM