DirectFlip support

Question

• Hi,

I've learned Windows 8 provides DirectFlip feature that can reduce power consumption.

My question is wether the that feature is available for Metro style app only, or could we have the benefit on desktop app too?

If we can have the benefit on desktop app, is it specific to full screen mode?

Thanks,
    Wesley

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:22 AM

Answers

• Wesley,

WDDM 1.2 video driver and Windows 8 Release Preview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/query/hh698234

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/query/ff548203

Also:

DirectFlip

This feature allows for special optimizations to the composition model to reduce power consumption. The following scenarios benefit from the DirectFlip optimization:

• To ensure optimal power consumption for video playback and other full screen scenarios, providing DirectFlip enables a minimum amount of memory bandwidth for displaying full-screen content while ensuring smooth transitions between full-screen applications, other applications, and the desktop environment.
    • The user wants to view a video or run an application that covers the entire screen.   When the user enters or exits the application or notifications appear over the application, no mode change is required and the experience is smooth. Furthermore, the user enjoys extended battery life on mobile devices because memory bandwidth requirements are reduced for full screen applications like video.

This feature is “required” for all “Full Graphics” WDDM v1.2 drivers. For more information on the feature requirements, please refer to the relevant WHCK documentation on “Device.Graphics…DirectFlip” requirements.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:09 AM

All replies

• What sort of app are you writing?  What are you looking to do with DirectFlip?

DirectFlip is a driver level feature rather than an app level feature.  Both Metro style apps and Desktop apps can benefit from it, but won't generally do anything specific with it.

You can find more information about DirectFlip at:

HW-218T: Understanding the Windows 8 graphics driver model

Windows Display Driver Model Enhancements in Windows Developer Preview

If you are writing a DirectX app then see:

DXGI Overview

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:28 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm trying to writting a DX application.
    In Windows 7, I leverage Flip model (instead of Blt model) that can reduce memory bandwidth and power consumption.

I'm interested in DirectFlip because MSFT said it can reduce power consumption.
    I just think whether DirectFlip is a further improvement of FlipEx.

I read the materials you provided earlier, and it makes sense to me for Metro style app scenario.
    But, if I'm writting a desktop DX application and running it in windowed mode, can my graphics output to DAC without DWM involvement? What about the the desktop area?

-wesley

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Wesley,

have you resolved this or is it still an open issue?

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Hi Eric,

It's still an open question to me.

Okay. I know this is driver-level feature as Rob said.
    However, someone told me that this feature can only be enabled in DX11, is it true?
    We still have some DX9 applications.

Thanks,
    Wesley

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Wesley,

WDDM 1.2 video driver and Windows 8 Release Preview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/query/hh698234

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/query/ff548203

Also:

DirectFlip

This feature allows for special optimizations to the composition model to reduce power consumption. The following scenarios benefit from the DirectFlip optimization:

• To ensure optimal power consumption for video playback and other full screen scenarios, providing DirectFlip enables a minimum amount of memory bandwidth for displaying full-screen content while ensuring smooth transitions between full-screen applications, other applications, and the desktop environment.
    • The user wants to view a video or run an application that covers the entire screen.   When the user enters or exits the application or notifications appear over the application, no mode change is required and the experience is smooth. Furthermore, the user enjoys extended battery life on mobile devices because memory bandwidth requirements are reduced for full screen applications like video.

This feature is “required” for all “Full Graphics” WDDM v1.2 drivers. For more information on the feature requirements, please refer to the relevant WHCK documentation on “Device.Graphics…DirectFlip” requirements.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:09 AM