Installing VS 2010 Pro with VS 2010 Express RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using VS 2010 Express (C++ primarily, C# also installed) for several months, and have just taken the plunge to purchase VS 2010 Professional.  My first question is whether the 2 editions can happily coexist (and share projects etc. folders, maybe even settings?), or should I uninstall the Express stuff first?  On the one hand it would be easier just to install VS Pro alongside Express, if that doesn't raise any issues, but on the other my current PC is getting rather bloated, and I wouldn't mind getting rid of stuff that is no longer needed.  Can you first just confirm that VS Pro can use VS Express projects without further ado, as I hope and assume?

Regarding uninstalling, I have also installed the VS Pro shell and F#, so I could see what it was like.  Clearly I could uninstall these, but there is no uninstall options for them (F# doesn't even appear in the Add/Remove programs list), so it is not clear to me how to do so.  Regarding VS Express, should the decison be to uninstall it, there is also no single Uninstall option for that either, and in Add/Remove programs there are a lot of separate items, including 3 each for 2005, 2008, and 2010 runtimes.    Any guidance as to what to remove safely would be appreciated.

Final question: I plan to get a new Win 7 machine before long, and will of course install VS Pro on it.  Do the Pro install include the Win 7.1 SDK, or will I have to download and install it separately (as I've done on my current machine)?

BTW current machine running Win XP SP3.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:40 AM

Answers

• Hi FGGIII,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I can see that you have many questions . So I will answer them one by one.

1.     “Can you first just confirm that VS Pro can use VS Express projects without further ado, as I hope and assume?”

Yes, we confirm that you can use your project build by VS Express when using VS Pro.

2.     “Any guidance as to what to remove safely would be appreciated.”

As for uninstalling Visual Studio 2010, please refer to this page:

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

You can either uninstall them manually or automatically with solutions states on that page.

3.     “Do the Pro install include the Win 7.1 SDK, or will I have to download and install it separately”

I’m afraid you should download and install it yourself. Please note: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowssdk/archive/2011/03/08/windows-sdk-v7-1-with-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-potential-issue-with-x64-ia64-visual-c-compilers.aspx

If you have downloaded and installed the stand-alone Windows SDK v7.1 and you are using the x64 or IA64 compilers that were included in that download, you may find that these compilers and the associated Visual C++ library files removed.

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:09 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hi FGGIII,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I can see that you have many questions . So I will answer them one by one.

1.     “Can you first just confirm that VS Pro can use VS Express projects without further ado, as I hope and assume?”

Yes, we confirm that you can use your project build by VS Express when using VS Pro.

2.     “Any guidance as to what to remove safely would be appreciated.”

As for uninstalling Visual Studio 2010, please refer to this page:

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

You can either uninstall them manually or automatically with solutions states on that page.

3.     “Do the Pro install include the Win 7.1 SDK, or will I have to download and install it separately”

I’m afraid you should download and install it yourself. Please note: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowssdk/archive/2011/03/08/windows-sdk-v7-1-with-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-potential-issue-with-x64-ia64-visual-c-compilers.aspx

If you have downloaded and installed the stand-alone Windows SDK v7.1 and you are using the x64 or IA64 compilers that were included in that download, you may find that these compilers and the associated Visual C++ library files removed.

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:09 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:10 AM
  • I have been using the Express version of Visual C++ 2010 & want to try the Professional version. IINM I can do a 30 free trial.

My main reason for trying this is that our office has a 64 bit machine & I want to test if my programs will run significantly faster on that machine when compiled with the 64 bit compiler.

If I have both the Express & Professional versions installed on one (32 bit) machine &  I find there isn't enough advantage to justify the price of the Professional version, will the expiration of the Professional version cause any problems with the Express version?

Jim Baerg

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:13 PM