none
Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Professiona VL Build difference? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the actual/technical difference between these two ISO's? They have the exact same keys in my MDSN subscription, but the VL Build is about 100MB smaller than the other one. Which one do I need to use if I want to be abled to activate it using KMS, MAK, a Retail key, and/or the MSDN keys?

Thanks!

Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:37 PM

Answers

• You can only use MSDN keys with MSDN Software, and vice versa, thats one thing.  The second is that the VL build is for the MAK and KMS type functionality and the regular build is for the Retail keys you have.   The site typically works such that the 'Product Keys' button next to an individual file will show you only keys that work for that file, so you can use that as a guide as well.

If you're asking technical questions about Windows 7, the best place to get them answered is over at http://answers.microsoft.com in the Windows 7 section.  

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 5:56 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 professional VL build is for Volume Licensing customers; if you are a retail customer, Windows 7 professional is the right one.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 10:57 AM
  • You can only use MSDN keys with MSDN Software, and vice versa, thats one thing.  The second is that the VL build is for the MAK and KMS type functionality and the regular build is for the Retail keys you have.   The site typically works such that the 'Product Keys' button next to an individual file will show you only keys that work for that file, so you can use that as a guide as well.

If you're asking technical questions about Windows 7, the best place to get them answered is over at http://answers.microsoft.com in the Windows 7 section.  

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 5:56 PM