none
Should I target .NET 4.0 or 4.5? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I will be soon deploying a free .NET bench-marking tool [to measure video performance],

but I'm not sure if I should be targeting .NET 4.0 or 4.5 with my tool.

I will be deploying the benchmark program publicly.

Here is the situation:

My tool uses some 4.5 only assemblies [Microsoft.WindowsAzure.MobileServices],

but it looks like I can substitute an upsupported  4.0 alternative if needed.

But my big question is, are there a lot of developers out there who are forced to run .NET 4.0 boxes? Does distributing a 4.5 program scare people in a corporate environment when it asks to upgrade to 4.5? [I understand some corporate environments everybody has to run 4.0 because they are still using XP systems, which will never support 4.5]

Has 4.5 been deployed via Windows Update?

Are there statistics anywhere on 4.0 vs 4.5 installations?

Thanks for any insight or clarification.

Cameron

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:04 AM

Answers

• It comes down to the question of universality.

Here is a graph showing Windows version market share:

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/06/01/windows-8-now-up-to-4-27-market-share-but-not-at-windows-7s-expense/

By targeting .NET 4.5 (supported on Windows 7 SP1 and newer), you're missing almost 41% of the potential market.

"But my big question is, are there a lot of developers out there who are forced to run .NET 4.0 boxes?"

I'd say this is the least of your worries. Devs usually have up to date, powerful, systems. As Win 7 and 8 support both .NET 4.0 and 4.5, they can support apps targeting both versions.

Large organizations are usually slower to adopt new technologies, so if you are targeting them, 4.0 is the way to go.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:50 PM