Kinect for Windows Adapter Xbox One sensor USB device not recognized RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I purchased the Kinect for Windows Adapter Kit for my Xbox One sensor, installed the Kinect for Windows software development kit (SDK) 2.0, and plugged the Kinect into the USB 3.0 port on my Dell Precision M4600 running Windows 8.1 64 bit and I am encountering the following error:

USB device not recognized

The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Try reconnecting the device.  If Windows still does not recognize it, your device may not be working properly.

Any ideas?

Brandon Williams (blog | linkedin)

Friday, November 14, 2014 6:49 AM

All replies

• What is your USB 3 chipset? If you are not seeing the device appear in your device manager, be sure you have followed the troubleshooting tips: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Only Intel and Renesas chipset work, in addition to that, DX11 capable GPU is required. Try on another system to confirm like a Surface Pro 2/3 that we know works.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, November 14, 2014 6:59 PM
  • The chipset is Intel.

I have tried the troubleshooting tips with no luck.

Do you know of any other ways I can get this to work?

Friday, November 14, 2014 7:29 PM
  • I meet the hardware system requirements specified here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/purchase/sensor_setup.aspx

Are you saying I need to buy a Surface Pro 3?  Why isn't that specified in the hardware system requirements?

Saturday, November 15, 2014 4:25 AM
  • No, Carmine is saying to try the Sensor out on a system that is known to work like a Surface Pro 2/3. There are other systems posted here. If you know someone who has one, or one of the known systems to work you can try the sensor and adapter kit on it to verify if it's a faulty adapter kit, sensor, or otherwise. I suspect it's probably something to do with your usb 3.0 port on your motherboard maybe not enough power? or capacity?- but that's just a wild guess.

Can you try getting a USB fully powered 3.0 Hub? If it's your usb controller on your motherboard this may help. In the alpha days, some folks had issues with DELL and HP laptops and the fix was to buy a  powered usb hub. (Note: there were some very specific ones, not every one worked... see the above link)

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:10 AM
  • For the USB External Hubs Working in that list, will I need to plug it into my USB 3.0 port?

The Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub is reasonably priced.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:22 AM
  • Yes. Or another usb 3.0 port if you have one on the system.

If it's a desktop, you can always get another USB 3.0 host controller + powered hub combination which is another potential fix.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:45 AM
  • Thank you.

It is a laptop and I have two USB 3.0 ports and two USB 2.0 ports.  I've tried both USB 3.0 ports.

I'll give the Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub a spin and will report back.  I'm a little worried about the recent reviews on Amazon but they do have a good return policy.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:59 AM
  • Hi Dwight-Goins,

I get the same exact error with the Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub.

USB device not recognized

The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Try reconnecting the device.  If Windows still does not recognize it, your device may not be working properly.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 5:10 AM
  • One more thing to try.

Check your drivers for the Intel chip for your USB Host controller see if there is an updated driver fro Intel. You should be able to remove any old driver and install the newer one.

There's probably an Intel specific one, and a Microsoft generic one, try the other and see if that helps you.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 5:45 AM
  • I updated the troubleshooting link with additional things to try(CPU speed stepping off, audio disabled check) Give those a try as well. Also, if you are using an expansion USB3 card, have you tried all your PCIx slots, including the one for the GPU?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:26 PM
  • Hi Dwight-Goins,

I've tried both the Intel specific driver and the Microsoft generic driver with the same results.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:10 AM
  • Carmine Sirignano,

I will try the additional things to try from your troubleshooting guide tomorrow and will report back.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:43 AM