none
Forcing Windows 7 to install as 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I am currently a post secondary student and obtained a copy of Windows 7 from the Dreamspark Premium subscription at my institution: "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 32/64-bit (English) ". This would imply that this version will install as 32 or 64 bit. I have been using it on older hardware since last year and had no trouble. I recently upgraded my hardware to a new 64 bit system (AMD FX8xxx processor and MB) and wanted to install the above windows into this system as 64 bit. I did a clean install from the disk but at no time did I get queried to select 64 or 32 bit. I took that as the install would auto detect my hardware and install 64. This did not happen. I got a 32 bit OS installed on my nice new 64 bit system. I can only see 3GB of my 8GB of RAM. Is there a way to get the 64 bit version installed or is the "32/64" part of the product description, a lie?

Rick Slansky

Monday, July 29, 2013 1:25 AM

Answers

• hey Rick,

I heard back from the Kivuto team on what they think your experience is.  They confirm that the initial prompt to download Windows 7 is as you state with a 32/64 prompt:

but when you click into that, you get prompts for 2 separate versions, one for a 32 bit file and one for a 64 bit file:

I'm thinking that you downloaded the wrong one. Can you check? 

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Friday, August 2, 2013 7:01 PM

All replies

• Rick,

Hmm... sounds like some wires are crossed somewhere.  Over on the MSDN Subscriber Downloads site, when you search for windows 7 professional we only appear to show either x86 versions or x64 version; there doesn't seem to be one that is for both x86 and x64. 

My feeling is that the implication is incorrect, and that product description needs to be updated, but I need to investigate first.  

I will investigate this for you, but for now I would try to find the x64 version to download and install.

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:47 PM
  • hey Rick,

I heard back from the Kivuto team on what they think your experience is.  They confirm that the initial prompt to download Windows 7 is as you state with a 32/64 prompt:

but when you click into that, you get prompts for 2 separate versions, one for a 32 bit file and one for a 64 bit file:

I'm thinking that you downloaded the wrong one. Can you check? 

Thanks,
    Mike

Friday, August 2, 2013 7:01 PM