Trouble logging in - After resuming from sleep

Question

• I have WDP installed on a ThinkPad T420s, freshly formatted and running in UEFI mode. About 70% of the time, I can't login after resuming from sleep. I enter my password and press Enter or click Submit, but absolutely nothing happens. The only way out of this is to do a hard shutdown by pulling the battery or long pressing the power button. Any ideas why this might be happening?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Marilyn,

Unfortunately this issue finally got to me and I've restored my Windows 7 image onto my laptop, so I can no longer offer any logs. It really is embarassing when I can't log in to my laptop when I need it in a pinch.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:47 PM

All replies

• If you press Win key on your keyboard, does something happens?

Consult http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2616150 whether it applies to you.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:19 PM
  • I applied that patch when it came out and I'm still experiencing issues. I don't have another monitor hooked up to the machine so I couldn't verify the Start button thing. Also,  I can't login, at all. Press Enter/Submit does absolutely nothing. The machine sits at the login screen.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Hey Kltye,

Try downloading and installing the latest drivers for your computer by using the link below.
    Lenovo Support - Download Drivers and Software

Installing the latest drivers from your computer's manufacturer may prevent a device not operating properly after sleep.

If a driver does not install properly, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can install the driver properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the option for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:52 AM
  • The laptop goes to sleep and resumes properly. I can even remote desktop into it after it wakes and exhibits this problem. I've used the out of the box drivers and drivers from Lenovo; there's been no appreciable difference in behaviour. I'd be glad to submit a bug report/record problems steps etc if I knew what exactly to do to help troubleshoot.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:44 AM
  • kltye,

is your account a local or Live ID account? 

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:35 PM
    Answerer
  • It's a Live ID account.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Hey Kltye,

(Assuming you are using a wireless connection for Internet) The next time you have trouble logging in after waking the computer from sleep try connecting your computer to your network through a wired connection to the router or modem. Give the computer a moment or two to make a connection through the wired connection and try to log into your account again. Then let us know if that works.

Let's also try disabling power management on the network adapter that is typically used by your computer (and/or being used when you experience this problem). You can do this by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Device Manager on your keyboard
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Device Manager
    • Expand the Network adapters list
    • Right click the network adapter in question
    • Click Properties
    • Click the Power Management tab
    • Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power box
    • Click OK
    • Exit Device Manager

Then restart your computer and test to see if the problem occurs again.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:25 AM
  • Yes, the laptop is primarily connecteds via WiFi. I do usually wait for it to connected to the wireless network before logging in (since it does it relatively quickly anyway). I will, however, give your suggestion a try. I also notice that fingerprint logon won't work when this problem is encountered (it works otherwise).
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Hey Kltye,

The fingerprint logon not working when this problem occurs gives me another idea.

If the suggestions above don't work, try going into the Device Manager and disabling the fingerprint scanner device. I don't have a computer that has a fingerprint scanner readily available at the moment, but it may be under a section titled Personal Identification Devices or similar. To disable the device:

• Right click on the device
    • Click Disable

Then restart your computer and test to see if the problem still occurs.

Steven
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:45 AM
  • It also happens without any fingerprints enrolled :( But I'll give the disabling fingerprint reader idea a chance.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Resume from sleep seems fairly buggy generally, I've found.

I have an AMD quad core gaming rig, and it became slow as mud after restarting from sleep, except for the basic GUI/Explorer interface which was not affected.

High performance in the Power Options is the workaround I'm using ;)

Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:26 AM
  • I've tried everything described here, but nothing works. I'm not having performance issues after resuming, so I doubt leaving my machine's power setting at max performance will help. At this point the WDP is too unstable for daily use so I'm restoring my Win7 image.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Hello kltye,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use
    link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Hi Marilyn,

Unfortunately this issue finally got to me and I've restored my Windows 7 image onto my laptop, so I can no longer offer any logs. It really is embarassing when I can't log in to my laptop when I need it in a pinch.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Hello kltye,

Thanks for letting us know that you no longer have Windows Developer Preview and can't reproduce your errors. It is a pre-beta release and as such should not be used in a production machine. It should be used for testing and developer purposes. If you want to install it, it should be as a dual boot or on another system so it does not compromise your daily work.

Thanks for your reply.

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:58 PM