none
How to write to event viewer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
     I am not able to write to Event Viewer. Althogh I was able earlier, until I started syslogd daemon through Cygwin. After that I am unable to log to event viewer through any application, even when I have stopped syslogd Daemon from cygwin. I am using Windows XP. Can some one tell me what has gone wrong and how to overcome that.
    Any solution will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    -Amit
    Friday, October 3, 2008 8:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Sharma, this forum is for software developers who are using the Open Protocol Specification documentation to assist them in developing systems, services, and applications that are interoperable with Windows. The Open Protocol Specifications can be found at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350.aspx. This does not appear to be that type of issue.

Unfortunately I don't know of a Microsoft forum or newsgroup to route you to with your request. I have some things I can suggest. Although I don't know much about Cygwin there are some things you could try and some questions I would ask.

When you say "through any application" do you mean applications that use the Cygwin dll or all applications including other windows based ones? If it is all applications does this still happen after rebooting the machine? If it is all applications is it possible to remove Cygwin from the scenario and restest? Have you tried researching this against Cygwin forums that you might be able to find on the Web?

Sorry, but other than these ideas I really can't help you futher.

Thanks!
    John Dunning
    Escalation Engineer Microsoft Corporation
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM
    Friday, October 3, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Hi,
    John is correct that your question is not related to the charter of this forum.

You might start here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/default.mspx. Someone on these forums should be able to help you get to a better forum for your question.

Good luck,
    Keith Hageman - MSFT
    • Edited by KeithHa Saturday, October 4, 2008 3:38 AM tweak
    • Proposed as answer by Brad Hards Monday, October 6, 2008 6:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Tuesday, October 7, 2008 10:19 PM
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Thanks Keith.
    Amit
    Monday, October 6, 2008 6:01 AM