none
RTF data in ReportViewer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I have some text data on a dtabase held in a Rich Text Format.

is there anyway to show ths data as a Rich Text Format within the Report Viewer control of VB2005, rather than the gibberish that comes up (ie the formatting data)

Many Thanks

Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:09 PM

Answers

• The SQL Server 2008 RDL schema supports what we have been calling rich text boxes.  These are single RDL text boxes that support multiple text styles and report actions.  We also support importing HTML formatted text into a single text box.  The report processing engine will parse that HTML into a single rich text box.  This allows the HTML styles to be applied to all rendering formats (PDF, Excel, etc) and not just to HTML.  If you can convert your RTF formatted data to HTML formatted data, you can import it with the new RDL schema.

As far as support in the Report Viewer - please take a look at my recent article on this subject and let me know if you have further questions: http://blogs.msdn.com/brianhartman/archive/2008/12/05/sql-server-2008-and-the-reportviewer-controls.aspx

Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:37 AM

All replies

• Is there any news about this feature?
    Monday, July 7, 2008 9:26 AM
  • Rich text support is included with SQL Server 2008.  The existing webforms viewer will automatically pick up that feature when connected to a 2008 report server.  Due to some backwards compatibility issues, the existing winforms report viewer will support rich text in server mode with some limitations.

The next release of the report viewer controls will have full support for rich text in both local and server mode.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:29 AM
  • Hi Brian

Sounds very interesting.
    If I understand you correctly then what you’re saying is that we should expect the next version of the reportviewer control to support RTF in all versions.
    Right now I’m using the report viewer control from VS2008 in a couple of web projects generating the reports programmatically on the web server from data supplied from various databases (primarily non-SQL Server) using datasets. The reports are then exported to the web user as a PDF file.
    In one project I have some RTF text stored in a database (MySQL) and right now I can’t render this text correctly (because the current report viewer cannot format and render RTF). Would it be possible to do so in the next version of the report viewer?
    And if so: when should we expect the next version to be available? And will the next version be an update to the current version (a service pack or something) or will it only be available with the next version of VS?

Lots of questions, hopefully you will find the time to make a short reply...

Best

Rasmus Wehner
    Denmark

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 11:54 PM
  • The SQL Server 2008 RDL schema supports what we have been calling rich text boxes.  These are single RDL text boxes that support multiple text styles and report actions.  We also support importing HTML formatted text into a single text box.  The report processing engine will parse that HTML into a single rich text box.  This allows the HTML styles to be applied to all rendering formats (PDF, Excel, etc) and not just to HTML.  If you can convert your RTF formatted data to HTML formatted data, you can import it with the new RDL schema.

As far as support in the Report Viewer - please take a look at my recent article on this subject and let me know if you have further questions: http://blogs.msdn.com/brianhartman/archive/2008/12/05/sql-server-2008-and-the-reportviewer-controls.aspx

Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Hi Brian

Thank you for your swift reply (and apologies for my late one).
    Well, it seems like I just have to wait for the final release of VS2010 to get the functionality I miss. All good for those who wait, isn't it :-)

Best

Rasmus Wehner
    Denmark
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:10 PM