none
Windows IoT core for commercialization RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My company is developing an embedded project and we're trying to figure out which operating system to choose. The main choices are Winodws IoT core and a Linux based OS. 

I've been testing both so far and they all have advantages and disadvantages. That being said, I'd like to get some more specific information for Windows IoT core :

* If I want to build a custom FFU for my device for commercialization, should I contact the specific board constructor or Microsoft ? 

* We're aiming to develop a 5 years lifespan product. Will the current version of Windows IoT core be able to support it for such duration ?

* Windows IoT core is centered around UWP. As we're restricted to develop in UWP, will it still be sustainable in the future ? 

* Our products must have a strong emphasis on security and must have frequent updates deployed remotely. Will Windows IoT core services solely be able to provide our needs in this matter ? If not, what other service(s) do we need ?

* It terms of cost for commercial use, what parameters should I be aware of ?

* We're particularly interested in the Raspberry Pi platforms. Will we expect, in the near future, a full functional release of the OS for the Raspberry Pi 3b+ and maybe the Raspberry pi 4 ?

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards

Owlowish

• Edited by Owlowish Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:16 AM

Answers

• Hello Owlowish,

>>* If I want to build a custom FFU for my device for commercialization, should I contact the specific board constructor or Microsoft ? 

You don't need to contact the specific board constructor, except you need to add some special driver for the board, but you need to by the certificate for building a retail image. Please see this document(Build a retail image).

>>* We're aiming to develop a 5 years lifespan product. Will the current version of Windows IoT core be able to support it for such duration ?

Yes, Windows IoT Core is available for free, Microsoft will provide support and help customer to improve Windows experience. But Windows 10 IoT Core Services will be a paid offering for IoT devices, 10 years of support via the Windows Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) which provides quality updates to keep device security up to date.

>>* Windows IoT core is centered around UWP. As we're restricted to develop in UWP, will it still be sustainable in the future ? 

Yes, IoT Core is a UWP centric OS and UWP apps are its primary app type. You can only develop traditional UWP apps and background apps. Besides, Windows IoT Core also supports non-UWP app types, such as Win32 Console Apps and NT Services.

>>* Our products must have a strong emphasis on security and must have frequent updates deployed remotely. Will Windows IoT core services solely be able to provide our needs in this matter ? If not, what other service(s) do we need ?

I can say Windows IoT Core service can satisfy your requirement. You can use Windows IoT Core Service to update control with the newly announced Device Update Center (DUC) which provides the ability to create, customize, and control device updates. Updates can be applied to the operating system, device drivers, as well as OEM-specific applications and files. Updates can be flighted to test devices prior to broader distribution. 10 Years of  Windows IoT Core Service support includes security and reliability updates for the operating system to keep device security up to date. >>* It terms of cost for commercial use, what parameters should I be aware of ?

Since Windows 10 IoT Core Services is an Azure solution, customers have a variety of flexible payment options to make their purchase.Device count will effect the price. You can see the charge calculation in FAQ here. 

>>* We're particularly interested in the Raspberry Pi platforms. Will we expect, in the near future, a full functional release of the OS for the Raspberry Pi 3b+ and maybe the Raspberry pi 4 ?

Sorry,I have no idea about that. It seems many user interested in Windows IoT Core on Raspberry Pi 3b+ and  the Raspberry pi 4.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Owlowish Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:18 AM
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hello Owlowish,

>>* If I want to build a custom FFU for my device for commercialization, should I contact the specific board constructor or Microsoft ? 

You don't need to contact the specific board constructor, except you need to add some special driver for the board, but you need to by the certificate for building a retail image. Please see this document(Build a retail image).

>>* We're aiming to develop a 5 years lifespan product. Will the current version of Windows IoT core be able to support it for such duration ?

Yes, Windows IoT Core is available for free, Microsoft will provide support and help customer to improve Windows experience. But Windows 10 IoT Core Services will be a paid offering for IoT devices, 10 years of support via the Windows Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) which provides quality updates to keep device security up to date.

>>* Windows IoT core is centered around UWP. As we're restricted to develop in UWP, will it still be sustainable in the future ? 

Yes, IoT Core is a UWP centric OS and UWP apps are its primary app type. You can only develop traditional UWP apps and background apps. Besides, Windows IoT Core also supports non-UWP app types, such as Win32 Console Apps and NT Services.

>>* Our products must have a strong emphasis on security and must have frequent updates deployed remotely. Will Windows IoT core services solely be able to provide our needs in this matter ? If not, what other service(s) do we need ?

I can say Windows IoT Core service can satisfy your requirement. You can use Windows IoT Core Service to update control with the newly announced Device Update Center (DUC) which provides the ability to create, customize, and control device updates. Updates can be applied to the operating system, device drivers, as well as OEM-specific applications and files. Updates can be flighted to test devices prior to broader distribution. 10 Years of  Windows IoT Core Service support includes security and reliability updates for the operating system to keep device security up to date. >>* It terms of cost for commercial use, what parameters should I be aware of ?

Since Windows 10 IoT Core Services is an Azure solution, customers have a variety of flexible payment options to make their purchase.Device count will effect the price. You can see the charge calculation in FAQ here. 

>>* We're particularly interested in the Raspberry Pi platforms. Will we expect, in the near future, a full functional release of the OS for the Raspberry Pi 3b+ and maybe the Raspberry pi 4 ?

Sorry,I have no idea about that. It seems many user interested in Windows IoT Core on Raspberry Pi 3b+ and  the Raspberry pi 4.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Owlowish Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:18 AM
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 1:35 AM
  • Thank you Michael !
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:18 AM