none
Report Viewer: Empty column displays little square boxes in Windows Xp. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to all,

I have a report that I created in Windows Vista using Visual Studio Team System 2008. When I deploy the application in Windows Xp and generate the report out, all empty columns displays little square boxes. But when I deploy the application in Windows Vista and generate the report out, all empty columns did not display the little square boxes. I already check in other operating system and so far I have found out that this happens in Windows Server 2003 also. Is this a bug? When I do a print-out, the little square boxes is also printed out as well. 

VB.NET Programmer
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,
       could you please use expression =Len(Fields!Name.Value) and check what result you are getting. It seems that you are getting "New Line Character" from database.

Aftab Ansari
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:20 PM

All replies

• Hello to all,

I have a report that I created in Windows Vista using Visual Studio Team System 2008. When I deploy the application in Windows Xp and generate the report out, all empty columns displays little square boxes. But when I deploy the application in Windows Vista and generate the report out, all empty columns did not display the little square boxes. I already check in other operating system and so far I have found out that this happens in Windows Server 2003 also. Is this a bug? When I do a print-out, the little square boxes is also printed out as well. 

VB.NET Programmer

The square box only appears in an empty column, so I try to remove the square boxes by returning an empty string if the column is empty to replace the square box as below,

=IIF(ISNOTHING(UCase(Fields!Name.Value)),

" ", UCase(Fields!Name.Value))

The square box still appears. Is this a BUG?

VB.NET Programmer
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Hello to all,

VB.NET Programmer

The square box only appears in an empty column, so I try to remove the square boxes by returning an empty string if the column is empty to replace the square box as below,

VB.NET Programmer

To give you all a clear picture of this. You all can download the pictures to see for yourself. One in Win Xp where the little square box appears and the other one in Vista where the square box is not visible. Please download from the link below and see it for yourself. Is this a bug?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5323ms
    VB.NET Programmer
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:58 AM
  • Hello to all,

VB.NET Programmer

VB.NET Programmer

To give you all a clear picture of this. You all can download the pictures to see for yourself. One in Win Xp where the little square box appears and the other one in Vista where the square box is not visible. Please download from the link below and see it for yourself. Is this a bug?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5323ms
    VB.NET Programmer

Can anyone tell me where can I post this so that this case can be solved by Microsoft's developers? This is urgent. Thanks!
    VB.NET Programmer
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Hi,
       could you please use expression =Len(Fields!Name.Value) and check what result you are getting. It seems that you are getting "New Line Character" from database.

Aftab Ansari
    Monday, December 14, 2009 12:20 PM

• Hi Aftab Ansari,

I already tried the expression that you suggested and the result that I get is 0.  But from there, I use the LEN function further and manage to remove the square box from being displayed if a column is NULL or empty. Below is the expression that I use to solve this issue. Thanks!

=IIF(LEN(Fields!Name.Value)>0, UCase(Fields!Name.Value), " ")

VB.NET Programmer
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:32 AM