none
I get an error when I use Excel 2013 Master Data Services 'Match Data' option RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the ‘Match Data’ step (step 25) of the MSDN EIM tutorial:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj819738.aspx

I get the following error dialog:

--

"The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs."

--

I have re-tried using a separate DQS Knowledgebase, different entities etc., but get the same error.

I was able to use the DQS Knowldege base to perform matching within DQS itself  as part of the earlier lesson of the same tutorial.

I also, as part of the tutorial,  had no trouble importing data into MDS via the Excel MDS Add-in,

and then subsequently viewing it through the MDS Web Application

The difficulty seems to be accessing the DQS Matching from Excel MDS Add-In

At the bottom of this post I have included MDS logs from when it happens.

Excel MDS Ad-In versions:

- Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddIn.dll File Version: 11.0.2100.60

- Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddInCore.dll      File Version: 11.0.3393.0

I am using Excel 2013 64-bit (15.0.4615.1000).

My OS is WIndows 8.1 Enterprise.

The MDS Excel Add-in was installed following

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35581

Thanks

Martin

MDS Logs:

------------

2014-05-16T14:58:15.388        5964 EXCEL.EXE            EXCEL.EXE                                Generic          EventType: Information, Message: DataQualityMatchingOperationStartOperation end

2014-05-16T14:58:15.389        5964 EXCEL.EXE            EXCEL.EXE                                Generic          EventType: Error, Message: Async executer exception System.ServiceModel.FaultException: The server was unable to process the request due to an internal error.  For more information about the error, either turn on IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults (either from ServiceBehaviorAttribute or from the <serviceDebug> configuration behavior) on the server in order to send the exception information back to the client, or turn on tracing as per the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK documentation and inspect the server trace logs.

Server stack trace:

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EndCall(String action, Object[] outs, IAsyncResult result)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeEndService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddInCore.MDSService.IService.EndDataQualityMatchingOperationCreate(IAsyncResult result)

at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddInCore.Types.Operations.DataQualityMatchingOperationCreateOperation.EndOperation(IAsyncResult ar)

at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.ExcelAddInCore.Operations.SequenceOperationExecuter.<Body>d__0.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.AsyncEssentials.AsyncExecuter`1.Advance()

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:40 PM

Answers

• This worked for me. 

Use the account that is running the MDS Application pool like: [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS]. If you are not sure about what account to use open IIS manager and go to the application pool for MDS. Use the account the is running that application pool in the script below.

USE [MDS]
    GO

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE ON [mdm].[tblDataQualityOperationsState] TO [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS] 
    GO 

USE [DQS_STAGING_DATA] 
    GO 

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_ddladmin] TO [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS]
    ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_datawriter] TO [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS]
    ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_datareader] TO [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS]
    GO 

Hope this helps.

Reeves

Denver, CO

Friday, July 25, 2014 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have the same problem.

Did u manage to fix this?

M.

Friday, May 30, 2014 10:16 PM
  • Hi Michal,

No unfortunately I could not get it to work.

I spent a good bit of time at it, but did not reach a conclusion.

One thing to add is that I also  checked the DQS logging and could see logging output showing that

DQS was processing data, and so it shows the Match request was getting through to DQS.

I also checked the Windows Event Viewer, but didn't find anything that helped.

Martin

PS

I have a lot of software experience, but mainly on Unix/Linux, so I probably don't know everything I should check.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 9:12 AM
  • Any one find a fix? I have same issue. I had no issue if using MDS add-in on my local machine with local database and local web site. Now that I've decided to use for a project I've got it on the server and get the error with excel Add-in during matching process. Surely someone knows why this is? Seems to be premissions? What is needed? Anyone know????

Susan J. Swanger

Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:51 PM
  • This worked for me. 

Use the account that is running the MDS Application pool like: [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS]. If you are not sure about what account to use open IIS manager and go to the application pool for MDS. Use the account the is running that application pool in the script below.

USE [MDS]
    GO

GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE ON [mdm].[tblDataQualityOperationsState] TO [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS] 
    GO 

USE [DQS_STAGING_DATA] 
    GO 

ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_ddladmin] TO [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS]
    ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_datawriter] TO [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS]
    ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON SCHEMA::[db_datareader] TO [VMSQL\svcSQLServerMDS]
    GO 

Hope this helps.

Reeves

Denver, CO

Friday, July 25, 2014 6:20 AM
  • This did not solve the problem for us.  Anyone else have ideas?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:16 PM
  • I am having same problem with 2016 add in. Previously, I had SQL Server 2014 and never encountered that. Could you, please, see if you can help me? When I run matching project inside DQS I don't have any problems, only DQS matching.
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:26 PM