none
Monitoring SMB shares using WMI RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know if it’s possible to get storage amount/provisioned/IOPS/latency for SMBv3 shares by accessing some counters for the client where we mount the share without accessing the server where the share resides?

We can get some of these counters via CIM_LogicalDisk (e.g., free and total space) by mapping the share as a network drive.   However, we have not had much success without this mapping step.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:25 PM

Answers

• We have closed this incident since we did not receive any further communication. We have assumed you no longer needed assistance on this particular inquiry at this time. In the future, should you need help on the open specifications, please send us your question by email or start a new forum thread and we will be happy to help.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open Specifications
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question. One of our engineers will review this and follow up.

Please review MS-SQOS or MS-SRVS to see whether it helps. Someone will follow up with you.

[MS-SQOS-Preview]: Storage Quality of Service Protocol

[MS-SQOS-Preview]: Storage Quality of Service Protocol

Specifies the Storage Quality of Service (QoS) Protocol, which is a block-based protocol that is used to manage the Quality of Service configuration of I/O flows targeting remote files accessed over SMB3.

[MS-SRVS]: Server Service Remote Protocol
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc247080.aspx

This document specifies the Server Service Remote Protocol. The Server Service Remote Protocol is a remote procedure call (RPC)–based protocol that is used for remotely enabling file and printer sharing and named pipe access to the server through the Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol, as specified in [MS-SMB]. The protocol is also used for remote administration of servers that are running Windows.

Thanks,

Edgar

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:53 PM
  • Hello pbatra, I will be assisting you with your question. Can you send an email to dochelp at microsoft dot com so that I can get some clarification on the scenario, post the details and answer here when we conclude the investigation ?

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 3:54 PM
  • We have closed this incident since we did not receive any further communication. We have assumed you no longer needed assistance on this particular inquiry at this time. In the future, should you need help on the open specifications, please send us your question by email or start a new forum thread and we will be happy to help.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:12 PM