side-by-side configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows application created in VS.NET 2005 that is installed on a Windows 7 (target) machine. Opening the application  using the .exe results in the following error:

Could not load file or assembly 'XYZ, Version=1.0.3701.25705, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Friday, February 26, 2010 10:53 PM

Answers

• John:

Manual deployment is an officially supported method. But that method has limitations so it is not the method of choice. Not to mention you assumed x86, that wouldn't work with an x64 application.

BajajG

Without more information it is hard to tell if it is the CRT causing the problem. There are two things, first the version installed on this Windows 7 machine must be built using the release build. It is against the license agreement to distribute the debug version of the CRT. Second, try installing the latest version of the VC redistributable. I would install both x86 and x64 versions to be safe, but you should only need to install the one which is the same architecture as the program you are trying to run.

You can find the VC redist here. This is the latest version, but if you are not using a fully updated version of the compiler don't worry. It will redirect it to this version without you doing anything.
    Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Shao Friday, March 5, 2010 3:24 AM
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:59 AM

All replies

• I am using C# .NET to create a setup project that creates the following folder structure on the client machine (and copies files under it):
    C:\Program Files\XXX\Bin

While running the setup on a client machine, I get an error
    "Access to path 'C:\Program Files\XXX\Bin\Application.exe.config is denied'

I have the admin rights on the client machine (Windows 7) and the folders are not "Read Only.
    Any suggestions on how to get this working?
    • Moved by OmegaMan Friday, February 26, 2010 7:08 PM (From:Visual C# General)
    • Merged by Jing0 Friday, March 5, 2010 12:39 PM Merge it to keep the same topic in one thread
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Okay... I was finally able to install the application by running it in Compatibility mode or by creating a batch file with the following contents:
    msiexec /i "path-to-package.msi"

Now when i try to run the application, I get this:
    Could not load file or assembly 'XYZ, Version=1.0.3701.25705, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

Any suggestions?

Friday, February 26, 2010 10:45 PM
  • I just copy the VS redist files (\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\redist\x86) to the application install directory.  My apps usually only need MFC and CRT so I copy the .dll and .manifest files to the same directory as the .exe.  There's probably a more officialy way to install side-by-side, but this works for me.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:04 PM
  • John:

Manual deployment is an officially supported method. But that method has limitations so it is not the method of choice. Not to mention you assumed x86, that wouldn't work with an x64 application.

BajajG

Without more information it is hard to tell if it is the CRT causing the problem. There are two things, first the version installed on this Windows 7 machine must be built using the release build. It is against the license agreement to distribute the debug version of the CRT. Second, try installing the latest version of the VC redistributable. I would install both x86 and x64 versions to be safe, but you should only need to install the one which is the same architecture as the program you are trying to run.

You can find the VC redist here. This is the latest version, but if you are not using a fully updated version of the compiler don't worry. It will redirect it to this version without you doing anything.
    Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Shao Friday, March 5, 2010 3:24 AM
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:59 AM
  • You've maybe just substituted one config problem for another.

You have a VS setup project, yes? C# is irrelevant, yes? What version of Visual Studio are you using? Do you have any custom actions in it?

Phil Wilson
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:16 PM