Excel File visible in Library, but not there physically RRS feed

• Question

• We have one Excel file that is visible when I browse in the Library where it was. However, when I try to open it or extract it, I receive the message that this file is not valid or not in the website anymore.

I checker using the File Explorer to open the Library and the file is not there.  I either

- want to find where the file went

or

- if the file is not found I don't want the link to the file (the list item) to be displayed in the Library view

Daniel Siconnelli There is neither good nor evil... only mogwais and gremlins

Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

Please share the error with us.

This error message may occur when you save or open a file if the path to the file (including the file name) exceeds 218 characters.

Please also check the path of the file.

Here is a link for you to refer to:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/213983

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Chris yuri Friday, August 19, 2016 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dan-D-maN Friday, August 19, 2016 7:01 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 9:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Is this issue occur in all browsers, or even using different user accounts?

Please try to reset IIS and clear your browser history before rechecking this again.

Ahmed Said Moussa SharePoint Consultant

Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:54 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Did you have RBS enabled for this site? Get the exact error message check the ULS what is written there and share if did not find anything

Try to open the library using Content and structure view, see if you can see and perform other operation over there.

http://{YOURSITENAME}/_layouts/15/sitemanager.aspx

Check with other Browser, other machine and some other users?

If still the issue there change your site master page to default Seattle or Oslo master page and see if you can

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:04 PM
  • It happens with different browsers, from different machines, with different accounts.  Browser history was cleared with no effect.

Haven't thought about that but I doubt they activated RBS here.  I will ask.

As for the Content and Structure page (sitemanger), the behavior is the same there.

Someone also checked with Powershell the last it happened and as a coworker recalls, he was getting the "Item" but unable to get the "file".

Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:18 PM
  • Hi,

make sure the file is published

For anything related to SharePoint https://www.fiverr.com/rashu268

Thursday, August 18, 2016 10:21 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Please share the error with us.

This error message may occur when you save or open a file if the path to the file (including the file name) exceeds 218 characters.

Please also check the path of the file.

Here is a link for you to refer to:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/213983

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Chris yuri Friday, August 19, 2016 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dan-D-maN Friday, August 19, 2016 7:01 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 9:14 AM
  • Thanks I will check the link you provided.  Howerver with a high privilege account, I managed to cut/pasted the other files in a new Folder and removed the Folder with the broken link. 

While trying to extract it I had the error code:16389.

Friday, August 19, 2016 6:59 PM