none
Questions about Tape drive pass through in Hyper-V? "why is it not an option?" RRS feed

• Question

•  

Why is it that Hyper-V does not suppor tape drive pass through. Every other virtualization program i have tried supports this. Hyper-V seemed to work great for me but without this feature I can't use it.

It seems like a giant limitation by MS to not allow the passthrough od devices connected to SCSI, SAS, and Fiber HBA's.

Perhaps I am missing something is there a functionality or security reason that they do not allow this?

Thanks,

Matt

Friday, June 20, 2008 12:53 AM

All replies

• I am in the same situation.  I plan on running our backup solution on a VM and I am looking for a way to setup tape drive passthrough.  It is a SCSI device, and you can do HDD passthrough I don't see why tape drive passthrough wouldn't work.  If anybody knows how to do this, I would aprpeciate it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Friday, August 15, 2008 8:23 PM
  •  

Lack of SCSI passthrough kills Hyper-V for us too, such a shame, was really looking forward to it.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:56 AM
  • You folks chould ask about this over in the Technet forum.. that's were all the hyper-v forum action is at.

As of 8/22/2008 this forum is de-comissioned, and there's pretty much nobody minding this particular MSDN forum..  all the virtualization support is over in the technet form

http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads/

(note the pinned message at the top of the forum that they are de-commissioning these on the 22nd  )

Further discussion of this issue should be moved to the technet virtulization forum.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:15 PM