none
How to physically connect the Kinect to a laptop?

Question

• This could be a stupid question but I'm not a hardware guy. How do we connect a Kinect to a PC? I tried connecting it to my USB port on my HP laptop but the connector is too large for the port. The SDK leads us to believe that we don't need any special hardware so maybe I'm just missing something here.

I'll try to connect it to my desktop machine upstairs just using the USB port there. We'll see.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• No luck. Booo. Do I have to perform electrical surgery on this Kinect chord to find something compatible? I think there is a lot of money out there if someone can build an easy Kinect-USB to actual-USB connector adapter. If you build it then post back and buy.

Let me know if there is an easy to follow hack to get this thing connected to a normal USB port on modern computers.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Sounds like you have something a little strange going on there...my kinect has a standard usb plug that works without a problem on my laptop
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:52 PM
  • No luck. Booo. Do I have to perform electrical surgery on this Kinect chord to find something compatible? I think there is a lot of money out there if someone can build an easy Kinect-USB to actual-USB connector adapter. If you build it then post back and buy.

Let me know if there is an easy to follow hack to get this thing connected to a normal USB port on modern computers.

Definitely strange indeed, not sure what you're trying.  I just installed the sdk, which comes with a sample skeletal app, plugged in the Kinect straight to my PC and voila this kinect is looking at me on my screen.  I was pretty impressed actually.  I mean this took a few minutes only... not really sure of any tips.  maybe just don't use any extension cables etc.. ?   very easy, something is wrong.

ac
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:58 PM
  • It seems there are two versions of Kinect sensor: one with a power supply + standard USB cable, the other with a "special" kind of connector that's similar to USB but supplies extra power. I believe the latter is the newer version that came with the XBox 360 bundle. It's what I have so I'm facing the same issue: I downloaded the SDK but now I'm not sure if there's a way to actually hook up the Kinect to my PC :(
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by CommonSynths Friday, June 17, 2011 12:26 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 12:01 AM
  • Looks like we need this:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Kinect-Adapter-Power-Supply/dp/B004IXRXGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308269162&sr=8-1

Randy

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by CommonSynths Friday, June 17, 2011 12:26 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 12:06 AM
  • The kinect sensor has a non standard connector which LOOKS like usb. The power adapter connects to this and then converts to usb. Kinects that CAME with a slim xbox do not require - or come with the power supply - which makes them useless for PC hackery until microsoft supply the power adapter seperately.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 12:08 AM
  • Good find Randy. I did get my Kinect with my 360 Slim bundle so that must be it.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 12:22 AM
  • Correct, you need the retail kinect sensor sold separately. The one bundled with xbox will not work. You can get it here

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/Kinect/kinectforxbox360

I'm here to help
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:40 AM
  • I just got my 360 and i have the same problem the new kinect has a new type of usb
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Nick, Did you read any of the above posts?
    • Edited by ChrisCicc Tuesday, November 08, 2011 8:56 PM
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 8:55 PM
  • Thank you Randy!

So, did the approach with power supply allow to plug Kinect into PC? Did it work?

Zaki

Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:04 AM
  • you need to get

Xbox 360 Kinect AC Adapter/ Power Supply
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IXRXGY

Sunday, May 06, 2012 8:19 PM
  • I don't know why yours didn't, but my Kinect came with an adapter converting the proprietary connection to USB so I can fit it into the one port on the back of my console. I wonder why yours didn't... :S
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:50 PM
  • I don't know why yours didn't, but my Kinect came with an adapter converting the proprietary connection to USB so I can fit it into the one port on the back of my console. I wonder why yours didn't... :S
    You bought the standalone Kinect. He got his with an Xbox, as the packages with the newer Xbox doesn't need the power/USB adapter the older Xboxes and computers need.
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:52 PM