how to add linked server with IP address from out of local network RRS feed

• Question

• User-1690769677 posted

I would like to add a linked server from out of local network with IP address.

i got IP address of the server i want to link it, and also user & password, i tried to do it but i got below error.

"login failed for user, Microsoft Sql server ,Error: 18456"

also i checked the ping and it has reply.

"c\windows\system 32\ping IP number"

i would like to know what is step by step procedure about this and what should be my problem.

for your information i could link my server to another server when it was on my local network by using server name of linked server. my problem is that, linked server is not on my local network.

error linked server

Friday, December 8, 2017 5:25 PM

Answers

• User991499041 posted

Hi Masoud-s,

I would like to add a linked server from out of local network with IP address.

i got IP address of the server i want to link it, and also user & password, i tried to do it but i got below error.

"login failed for user, Microsoft Sql server ,Error: 18456"

also i checked the ping and it has reply.

"c\windows\system 32\ping IP number"

i would like to know what is step by step procedure about this and what should be my problem.

for your information i could link my server to another server when it was on my local network by using server name of linked server. my problem is that, linked server is not on my local network.

error linked server

The error occurs may credentials of the SQL Server Authentication login that does not exist on a remote server.

Under the Local server login to remote server login mappings, two ways of local logging to a remote login can be set. One way is to associate a local login with a remote login and other way is to impersonate.

Additionally, on the Linked Server dialog, it can be identified how logins that are not set in the Local server login to remote server login mappings list will connect to the linked server, for that there are four options that can be used and they are located under the For a login not defined in the list above, connections will section.

In following article will be explained how to configure a linked server using a SQL Server data source. 

How to create and configure a linked server in SQL Server Management Studio

https://www.sqlshack.com/how-to-create-and-configure-a-linked-server-in-sql-server-management-studio/

Regards,

zxj

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 5:52 AM