unable to find roaming data file location and quota RRS feed

• Question

• 1. I am saving a file datafile.db in roaming folder with json string data. For debugging reasons is it possible to see or check whats there in the file? I tried to check

in users, there is no appdata folder.

2.  also am trying to see how much quota is there for my roaming data and how much I have used.

var x = Windows.Storage.applicationData.Current.roamingStorageQuota;

var y = Windows.Storage.applicationData.Current.roamingStorageUsage;

msg = new Windows.Ui.Popups.MessageDialog(x);

msg.showAsync().then();

But I get 'undefined' as output.

3.   is it a must to use roaming settings. I have just used current.roamingfolder to save the file.

pls help on how to proceed with this. thanks so much

Karthi

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Metro apps store roaming data under C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Local\Packages\[your package ID]\RoamingState

This is a hidden folder. Please configure Windows to display hidden folders in order to view its content.

2. The cases used are incorrect. Please use:

ApplicationData, not applicationData
    current, not Current
    UI, not Ui

3. I’m not very sure what you mean by “is it a must”. You can use either local folder or roaming folder. If you use roaming folder, the file will automatically be synched to all computers the user have, as long as the user signs in to Windows with the same Live ID.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Use Roaming settings to roam settings that make sense for your application on all the devices a customer may use your application.

For example a setting like:  Display my temperature in Celcius - may make sense for your app on any device your customer.

Maybe background color or image is a setting that does not make sense to roam for your application... You choose!

Here is more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465094.aspx

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Metro apps store roaming data under C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Local\Packages\[your package ID]\RoamingState

This is a hidden folder. Please configure Windows to display hidden folders in order to view its content.

2. The cases used are incorrect. Please use:

ApplicationData, not applicationData
    current, not Current
    UI, not Ui

3. I’m not very sure what you mean by “is it a must”. You can use either local folder or roaming folder. If you use roaming folder, the file will automatically be synched to all computers the user have, as long as the user signs in to Windows with the same Live ID.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Thanks so much. It worked like a charm.

In Question 3 what I meant was 'Should I create roaming settings if I am going to use roaming folder?' Or I am unable to think of a situation who will use roaming or local settings and for what. Thanks again.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Use Roaming settings to roam settings that make sense for your application on all the devices a customer may use your application.

For example a setting like:  Display my temperature in Celcius - may make sense for your app on any device your customer.

Maybe background color or image is a setting that does not make sense to roam for your application... You choose!

Here is more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465094.aspx

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:54 PM