none
How to use Type.GetType(string)? Doesnt seem to work. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to write a function to genericly return a new instances of a Windows form control based on its typename. It would seem that I should be able to do something like.

Activator.CreateInstance(Type.GetType("System.Windows.Forms.Label"))

to accomplish this. I can make Type.GetType work for simple types such as "System.Int32" or "System.String" but it does not work when I ask for a label or textbox. Obviously I'm not getting the typename right, but it seems right to me and I really dont know where to look next. Please help!

Bill
    Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:59 PM

Answers

• Try:-
       Type t = Type.GetType("System.Windows.Forms.Label, System.Windows.Forms");

object o = AppDomain.CurrentDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(t.Assembly.FullName, t.FullName);

I wish the documentation for this was clearer. Documentation always uses the most trival, meaningless examples. Why would you want to get an int like this?
    Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:03 PM

All replies

• I would assume this is hapenning cause the object is in an other .dll

Console.WriteLine(System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom("C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\System.Windows.Forms.dll").GetType("System.Windows.Forms.Label"))

returns the right thing, but a simple GetType returns nothing for me too

Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:26 PM
  • Try:-

object o = AppDomain.CurrentDomain.CreateInstanceAndUnwrap(t.Assembly.FullName, t.FullName);

I wish the documentation for this was clearer. Documentation always uses the most trival, meaningless examples. Why would you want to get an int like this?
    Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:03 PM
  • I want to go through the controls collection in a form and take action based on the type of each control.  The example given

t is null after the execution.

I have also tried

Type t = Type.GetType("System.Windows.Forms.Label");

with same result.  The following works but is CLEARLY wasteful

Type GroupBoxType = new System.Windows.Forms.GroupBox().GetType();

It would really be nice if the documentation explained something simple like how to use Type.GetType(string)  This should be so simple why is it so hard.  What were they thinking?

BTW I am using VS2005 and .Net 2

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 3:43 AM
  • "System.Windows.Forms" is different then "tyepof(Label).Assembly.FullName" !
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 7:41 AM
  • If the typeof() operator or Type.GetType() method won't work, try using this function instead:

public

static Type GetTypeEx(string

fullTypeName)

{

Type type = Type

.GetType(fullTypeName);

if (type != null

)

return

type;

System.Reflection.

Assembly assembly = AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetAssemblies().FirstOrDefault(a => a.GetType(fullTypeName) != null

);

if(assembly != null

)

return

assembly.GetType(fullTypeName);

return null

;

}

It worked for me when Type.GetType() failed.

dm
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:40 PM