Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 - Can't debug unit test RRS feed

• Question

• I have a unit test solution that is has a build configuration of x86 in Debug mode. when I run unit tests without debugging option enabled the test run fine. When I select a failed test and set a breakpoint and start the  the selected test with debugging enabled I get this message in the test output window.

------ Run test started ------
    Process with an Id of -1 is not running.
    ========== Run test finished: 0 run (0:00:00.031251) ==========

For some reason the tests will not runt in debug mode. I've tried closing and reopening the solution project, but doesn't help. I'm not sure what else to do and when I tried to "Bing" the error message didn't find anything useful.

P.S. this is a WPF project.

I created a WinRT unit test project and tried to run tests in debug mode. I get an error dialog on startup that says.

Unable to start debugbing
    'C:\blah\blah.. \AppX\vstest.executionengine.appcontainer.x86.exe'
    Operation not supported. Unknown error: 0x80040d10.

This is a brand new machine and I just installed VS2012 premium on it yesterday. I don't remember having to do anything special to turn on debugging on any of my other machines. this seems like a bug in visual studio.

Okay, So I resolved my issue by reinstalling VS2013 Update 3. When I installed it the first time I used the VISX from within visual studio update extensions. This time I went out to the website downloaded the .exe and ran it locally, I chose the repair option when installing. the log file it gave me at the end contained a lot of Registry key not found listing.

I'm not sure what the cause of this was, might be the VSIX installer has an issues, not sure.

• Edited by xamldeveloper Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:39 PM Removed snippit of log. made post to big an not readable.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi xamldeveloper,

I'm glad to hear that you got it working with the solution below.

Okay, So I resolved my issue by reinstalling VS2013 Update 3. When I installed it the first time I used the VISX from within visual studio update extensions. This time I went out to the website downloaded the .exe and ran it locally, I chose the repair option when installing. the log file it gave me at the end contained a lot of Registry key not found listing.

Thank you for sharing your solutions here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. Based on your description, maybe the issue is related to your VS environment. If you have some installation issue in the future, you can consult on Visual Studio setup and installation forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vssetup for better response.

Best regards.

Carl Cai
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Carl Cai Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:32 AM Redit
    • Edited by Amanda Zhu Friday, August 2, 2013 3:22 AM add more
    • Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Friday, August 2, 2013 3:22 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:39 AM