Barcode font not rendering when exported to PDF. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a report which contains a simple textbox that has the font set as a 3of9 barcode font.  Everything works fine when the report is rendered in the report viewer,  but when I export it to PDF either through code or through the report viewer the barcode is not visible.  It appears as though the space is taken up on the report but nothing is displayed.  I am using webform and not winforms if that makes any difference.  Does anyone know what I can do to get the barcode to show up?

Thanks,

Jason 

Monday, March 26, 2007 5:55 PM

Answers

• PDF and fonts with Reporting Services viewer control have some requirements.

For localmode PDF export, the Barcode font needs to be installed on both the webserver and the local client.

For servermode PDF export, the Barcode font needs to be installed on both the Report Server and the local client.

Hope that helps. If the font is installed on all machines and you are still seeing this issue, it could be a product bug. Contacting CSS will help resolve that issue then.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:16 PM

All replies

• I am also experiencing this issue.  If you launch reporting services from the browser, the report runs fine and exports to pdf with the barcode font being displayed...If I launch the same report inside of my application using the report viewer, it renders the barcode to the screen, but when you print the report or save it to pdf, the barcode is not displayed.   Please advise on the solution to correct this.  Thank you. (using 3of9 extended barcode font)

Jarrod
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Same goes with me, in Report Manager I see the barcode when I export to PDF is gone, just see the data.
    From VS when I export is just fine  ... ???

Any clues ??

TIA
    Friday, July 18, 2008 1:51 PM
  • PDF and fonts with Reporting Services viewer control have some requirements.

For localmode PDF export, the Barcode font needs to be installed on both the webserver and the local client.

For servermode PDF export, the Barcode font needs to be installed on both the Report Server and the local client.

Hope that helps. If the font is installed on all machines and you are still seeing this issue, it could be a product bug. Contacting CSS will help resolve that issue then.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Do you guys ever intend to support embedding fonts in the PDF? This is a MAJOR limitation over Crystal Reports for me...
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:01 PM
  • I have solved this problem using java enabled technolgy
    no requirement of fons on client side
    tested on various browser it is ok
    font embedding is the solution but not perfect and not browser independent .prior version of mozila is supporting font embedding but current version is not supporting  

contact me  for perfect barcode soln and for solving  printing issues on browsers
    my name is tariq
    tariq_mca@hotmail.com

Monday, March 30, 2009 9:22 AM
  • Hai i also had this problem  and i stuck with a whole day for solving this ,finally i solved it .What i did is that  i included barcode font (IDAUTOMATION) in the reporting server also in the client system , and restart both , so i successfully export.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:11 PM
  • Download the free version of IDAutomation solved my issue

http://www.idautomation.com/free-barcode-products/code39-font/#Download_Free_Barcode_Font

• Edited by Prasath SJ Tuesday, June 7, 2016 7:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 7:50 AM