Access data without Web RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I am working on a windows application that needs to access data for hundreds of Health Vault users. I need to be able to get the data from Health Vault periodically and save it in a local Database for future use and analysis. All the sample applications are Web based and have no documentation explaining the methods that can me used with the SDK. I read some forum threats and found that after a first login through the web you can acquire the Person that can be used to access data without the web logon in the future, however it doesn't explain how it can be done. Can I get sample code of offline access (Preferably in VB) or detailed instruction and explanation of what objects, properties and methods are to be used to do that.

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

• HealthVault connection center already provides support for getting data off of blood pressure devices and into HealthVault. You can find the list of supported devices here - it includes blood pressure devices from Omron, Microlife, and Homedics.  I wouldn't recommend trying to do that yourself as devices are complex to interface with.

The error you are getting is because the certificate isn't registered properly. If you follow the direction in SampleApplicationsReadMe.mht, that will show you how to get things working...

Monday, May 19, 2008 9:58 PM
  • At the current time, we do not support client applications, because we cannot reliably authenticate an application.

We do have partners who are building a web proxy that talks to HealthVault, and then communicating with it over a secured channel. That does have implications in both the security and privacy area, and takes good practices to do well.

I'd suggest that you first read:

Choosing a HealthVault Application Architecture

and there is also an offline application in the SDK which might be helpful.

If you can give me some more details on what the application you are doing does (who is the target user? What data does it access? What does it do with that data? etc. ), I can give you more advice.

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:45 PM

All replies

• At the current time, we do not support client applications, because we cannot reliably authenticate an application.

We do have partners who are building a web proxy that talks to HealthVault, and then communicating with it over a secured channel. That does have implications in both the security and privacy area, and takes good practices to do well.

I'd suggest that you first read:

Choosing a HealthVault Application Architecture

and there is also an offline application in the SDK which might be helpful.

If you can give me some more details on what the application you are doing does (who is the target user? What data does it access? What does it do with that data? etc. ), I can give you more advice.

Monday, May 19, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Ok. I work for a health care provider that would like to use Health vault possibly through American Heart Assosiation for health information storage for our research. We have a team of researchers that reqruit people for study that will get a blood pressure cuff and will be helped to set up a Health Vault account. We are charged with writing an application that will connect to Helath vault to collect Blood Pressure data for those people that have the account and are enrolled in the study. We need to upload the data frequently to be able to alert doctor about abnormalities so we have to schedule friquent data collections.

You did mention the offline application in SDK, could you please let me know the name and the location where I can find it?

Another question I have is what documentatio on SDK do you have that will explain how to code using it's API besides the one that describes Health&Fitness sample? I am looking for some more detail and something more technical since I have to write my abblication in VB.

We also are trying to test and explore the sample application but we are getting the following error after logging on to the Live section of it.

Server Error in '/website' Application.

Security Exception

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: The specified certificate, CN=WildcatApp-05a059c9-c309-46af-9b86-b06d42510550, could not be found in the LocalMachine certificate store,or the certificate does not have a private key.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\website\1c96cbd9\c6259050\App_Web_a7opbt65.0.cs    Line: 0

Stack Trace:

[SecurityException: The specified certificate, CN=WildcatApp-05a059c9-c309-46af-9b86-b06d42510550, could not be found in the LocalMachine certificate store,or the certificate does not have a private key.]
       Microsoft.Health.ApplicationConfiguration.GetSignatureCertRsaProvider(Guid applicationId, RSACryptoServiceProvider& rsaProvider, String& thumbprint) +639
       Microsoft.Health.Web.Authentication.WebApplicationCredential.SetupSignatureCertRsaProvider() +124
       Microsoft.Health.Web.Authentication.WebApplicationCredential.Initialize(Guid applicationId) +259
       Microsoft.Health.Web.Authentication.WebApplicationCredential..ctor(Guid applicationId, String subCredential) +212
       Microsoft.Health.Web.HealthServicePage.GetPersonInfo(String authToken) +104
       Microsoft.Health.Web.HealthServicePage.HandleTokenOnUrl() +150
       Microsoft.Health.Web.HealthServicePage.InitializeUserData(Boolean logOnRequired) +46
       Microsoft.Health.Web.HealthServicePage.OnPreLoad(EventArgs e) +62
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5895
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +281
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +112
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +37
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +135
       ASP.redirect_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\website\1c96cbd9\c6259050\App_Web_a7opbt65.0.cs:0
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +714
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +117

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:31 PM
  • HealthVault connection center already provides support for getting data off of blood pressure devices and into HealthVault. You can find the list of supported devices here - it includes blood pressure devices from Omron, Microlife, and Homedics.  I wouldn't recommend trying to do that yourself as devices are complex to interface with.

The error you are getting is because the certificate isn't registered properly. If you follow the direction in SampleApplicationsReadMe.mht, that will show you how to get things working...

Monday, May 19, 2008 9:58 PM
  • I think I do not need help with the device. I do need help with uploading data for several hundred users from the health vault on regular basis with high frequency. We might need as frequently as every 10 minutes... We will need a way to get the data without the users' logon and use of website. It that feasable?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:20 PM
  • I tried the steps to install the application certificate at step two I open up Personal and it says there are no items to show in this view.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:39 PM
  • I actually figured out and Hello World seams to be working. Thank you

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:43 PM
  • It is feasible, but I'd like to understand your scenario a bit better. The goal of HealthVault is to store information that is useful for users (either through looking at it themselves or by passing it on to other practitioners or systems).  It's not clear to me whether having a BP every 10 minutes aligns with that goal.

If you can walk me through how the system will operate (what the various steps are, etc.), I will try to be of more help. It would be most helpful if you can explain it from the user's perspective.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:38 PM
  • well the reason we need the uploads so friquently is because we need to check if the new readings are too high and send out an alert.

We would like to write an application that can access data for numerous healthvault users. is there a way to access data without using web site? We might have the login information for the users but we need the application to run anattended. We will not have anyone to type in the login user name and passord.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Katya,

I was talking to Tim today and he mentioned that you had a discussion with him that I think cleared things up a bit.

If you have any other questions - or I'm wrong in my understanding - please reply.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:09 PM