none
Creating Filled Maps in PowerBI leveraging Bing Maps RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use PowerBI to create filled maps that use Bing Maps to make shapes, but I'm having trouble getting the filled map visualization to display provinces of Laos. I tried posting this in the PowerBI forums, but they seem to think it's a Bing Maps issue.

I've pulled data from statoids and from the corresponding wikipedia ISO page to get the ISO3166-2 codes, but this hasn't been successful.

ISO 3166-2 data doesn't seem to correspond with Bing Maps at all. I think there may be different transliteration or something. The way the names are listed doesn't look like what comes up when I look at the region in Bing Maps. Does anyone know what naming standard Bing uses?

With the statoids data, I can get the regular map visualization to display bubbles in the appropriate area, which says to me that it is able to correctly parse the location names. However, when I try and use a filled map, I get absolutely nothing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:25 AM

Answers

• Not all boundary types are available in all countries. Check Laos I can see that there is no province boundary data available in Bing Maps. In general Bing Maps has very limited data for Laos. the only boundary data available is the country boundary.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:04 PM