none
Create Hippa 271 human readable report?? RRS feed

• Question

• After receiving a Hipaa 271 file, I want to display it in an human readable kind of report ( not just a simple XML format). Has anyone done similar work or has any good suggestions? Thank you!

Friday, June 26, 2009 4:38 PM

Answers

• I had a similar scenario to work on.. we had to convert x12 messages to human readable html reports. We achieved this using a .net component which will process each xml node and get the corresponding definition from database. i.e we had tables with all the field names (ST, ST01, BEG, BEG01, N101..) and corresponding definitions. To reduce the database round trips, we loaded the data into datatable, which was used for lookup.

The data entry part was the difficult one since we had to get all the relevant segments from x1 schema and find the definition from the schema notes. But since the client specified expected segments, we were able to ignore few segments which was never use.

Genuine Basil
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Hi,
       You can use EDI format that is not very much close to human readable format but better than XML format. For converting XML to edi format you can use Edi send pipeline in Biztalk.

If you want descriptive names of segmets and fields in your report then you have to use implementation guide and incorporate names from there and data values from the XML.

Thanks
    Gyan
    If this answers your question, please mark it as "Answered".
    Monday, June 29, 2009 5:27 AM
  • The most straight forward solution I have done is to take the 271 XML and apply a XSL stylesheet to it to render an HTML human readable report. (Altova had a nice XML to HTML designer that made this a bit easier.) Then by just changing the first line of the XML document to reference the XSL, IE (or an IE control) would just open the XML file - do the transform and display it in a nice easy to read format...
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:35 PM
  • there is a pipeline that comes with the new ESB toolkit that adds an info path header to your message at the send port and has configurations such as xsl template, infopath header, very sweet, i use it for fault messages....all you have to do is open infopath, design new, point to xml file or schema and wamo...then you will se some designer stuff to put some lipstick on it, and then drag your nodes over....the infopath designer knows data types as well so if its a date field you will have a date edit calender next to your text box, number...so on, you can also take this to a whole different level by embedding data base lookups for codes and such...then publish the xsn and reference it in the property window as the template in the pipeline component copy the code
    Friday, July 3, 2009 3:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,
       You can use EDI format that is not very much close to human readable format but better than XML format. For converting XML to edi format you can use Edi send pipeline in Biztalk.

If you want descriptive names of segmets and fields in your report then you have to use implementation guide and incorporate names from there and data values from the XML.

Thanks
    Gyan
    If this answers your question, please mark it as "Answered".
    Monday, June 29, 2009 5:27 AM
  • I had a similar scenario to work on.. we had to convert x12 messages to human readable html reports. We achieved this using a .net component which will process each xml node and get the corresponding definition from database. i.e we had tables with all the field names (ST, ST01, BEG, BEG01, N101..) and corresponding definitions. To reduce the database round trips, we loaded the data into datatable, which was used for lookup.

The data entry part was the difficult one since we had to get all the relevant segments from x1 schema and find the definition from the schema notes. But since the client specified expected segments, we were able to ignore few segments which was never use.

Genuine Basil
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:54 PM
  • The most straight forward solution I have done is to take the 271 XML and apply a XSL stylesheet to it to render an HTML human readable report. (Altova had a nice XML to HTML designer that made this a bit easier.) Then by just changing the first line of the XML document to reference the XSL, IE (or an IE control) would just open the XML file - do the transform and display it in a nice easy to read format...
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:35 PM
  • there is a pipeline that comes with the new ESB toolkit that adds an info path header to your message at the send port and has configurations such as xsl template, infopath header, very sweet, i use it for fault messages....all you have to do is open infopath, design new, point to xml file or schema and wamo...then you will se some designer stuff to put some lipstick on it, and then drag your nodes over....the infopath designer knows data types as well so if its a date field you will have a date edit calender next to your text box, number...so on, you can also take this to a whole different level by embedding data base lookups for codes and such...then publish the xsn and reference it in the property window as the template in the pipeline component copy the code
    Friday, July 3, 2009 3:29 AM