none
search still broken RRS feed

• Question

• Search has been broken in MSDN since the last big redo of it (3 or 4 years ago). And its still broken

try

"c# plugins" in msdn search

now try

"c# plugins site:microsoft.com" in google

'nuff said

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:07 PM

Answers

• Actually, an apples-to-apples comparison would have to be "c# plugins site:msdn2.microsoft.com", which yields almost identical results. The difference is that by running the search on MSDN, you're one-click away from several useful refinements: 2 different sections of the MSDN library, MSDN blogs, or the whole internet.

If I'm missing a nuance in the delta between the search engines, please let me know.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:57 PM

All replies

• Actually, an apples-to-apples comparison would have to be "c# plugins site:msdn2.microsoft.com", which yields almost identical results. The difference is that by running the search on MSDN, you're one-click away from several useful refinements: 2 different sections of the MSDN library, MSDN blogs, or the whole internet.

If I'm missing a nuance in the delta between the search engines, please let me know.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:57 PM
  • I don't know about Paul's example, but he's right in saying MSDN search has sucked for a long time.  Curiously, the UI gets replaced every 3-6 months.  Articles move around so fast you can't keep track.  The oldest, simplest, best DHTML, VB6, Javascript, and DOM articles have vanished under the piles of .Net stuff.  What's the point of having a library that redesigns the Dewey Decimal System twice a year?  Searching their own tech documentation is one place MS should be beating the pants off everyone.

Cross my fingers this is better, but I don't have much hope.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 2:26 PM